Pond plants and koi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,I posted earlier regarding green water and a friend suggested I put some plants in to help the problem. The only problem is I am told the koi will eat the plants,and if so is there any way round this. Thanks

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Responded in your other thread as well. Koi will eat plants, but many of us on here keep plants and koi., myself included. Planting marginals that the koi can’t get (pots are almost breaking water surface)at or putting plants in between the rocks at the ponds edge(just roots in the water) are some ways around it. Personally I have plants all over my pond and while the koi do nibble at some of them, they don’t destroy them.

Or can use most here’s favorite method create a an upflow pea gravel bog that gets water pumped up through it from the pond then waterfalls back into the pond. This is probably the best method to keep your water crystal clear all the time.

Check out the pond construction forum on here Addy1’s thread on bogs is stickier at the top of it. You can also search bogs on here and see a bunch of the members threads on how they built there bog, myself included.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,I posted earlier regarding green water and a friend suggested I put some plants in to help the problem. The only problem is I am told the koi will eat the plants,and if so is there any way round this. Thanks
Hi I think if you feed your fish at regular intervals during the day they shouldn’t need to eat your plants too anyone else agree ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hi I think if you feed your fish at regular intervals during the day they shouldn’t need to eat your plants too anyone else agree ?

It really is an unpredictable type of thing - some fish will eat any and every plant in the pond, others never touch them. My fish don't really eat the plants, but they do shred things up a good deal when they are spawning.

Ask a Question