Pond plants list, with pics (UK)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I've been pulling together a list of plants to be on the lookout for while touring the local pond shops. It's my shopping list as it were...

Anyway its ended up with 100 or so plants all with pics and still growing.. lol. (marginals, lilies, oxygen, and pond plants). its 30 pages and 5000 words so a bit big to upload it here. If youd like a copy pm me and we'll work something out... its aimed at UK climate which is 8. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks addy, I'm going to add in your list to it if thats ok.. but appreciate that some of them will be zone dependant..

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks addy, I'm going to add in your list to it if thats ok.. but appreciate that some of them will be zone dependant..
Go for it, I did that list long time ago. When I first built the pond and bog. I have a stable herd of plants now, they like our winters, grow well with no effort on my part except yanking when they get too thick!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Test post of screen shot

Attachments

• 20210418_213549.jpg
    20210418_213549.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 67
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Test post of screen shot
if in your research you know the safe temp zones for each plant, I'd definitely include that info to be of any help to future GPF ponders. Don't want someone coming back and blaming you for plant loss when it never should have been planted in their zone in the first place!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I'm working on the assumption that if its for sale in a local store then its probably going to be ok in the local climate.. (?) that could easily come back and bite. :)

The use I envisaged was to take it with me for the tech pond info about the plant when I go to a garden centre or aquatics store.. or if I'm looking for bog plants, what would be most suitable from whats available. A sort of handy reference guide.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is really outstanding, Kelpie. Sounds very beneficial. One lesson I learned years ago is sometimes garden centers and pet stores inadvertently mislabel or simply guess the actual origin or requirements of a plant. I used to write a plant column and would get heartbreaking requests for help from readers who purchased 'aquatic' plants and instead, ended up with a pile of goo fouling their water. One plant sold commonly sold in pond and aquarium stores was the Neanthe bella (bella or parlor palm). They were sold as underwater or bog palms. Anyway, I wish you much success!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
That's great. I'd really like a copy please
Hi mitch, and welcome :)
If you want to PM me with your email address I'll send it over. tried with the help of addy to put in on here but without success..

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Try submitting a article, I would need to approve it. Totally forgot about that option.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks addy, I think the email system is working ok. it also means I can update it and add to it without generating loads more work for the hard working mods :cool:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks addy, I think the email system is working ok. it also means I can update it and add to it without generating loads more work for the hard working mods :cool:
external-content.duckduckgo.png
HA! hard-working mods...ha, again, I say; seems OURS are out BEEing BEEusy!

Oh, wait, did I say that out loud? Shhhhhh, addy might bee listenin'!!

LOL

(just j/k ing, addy; don't put me in time out! I'm SURE you're woking doing sumthin'! heh heh)

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I'm working on the assumption that if its for sale in a local store then its probably going to be ok in the local climate.. (?) that could easily come back and bite.
I am seeing more and more plants labeled as perennial but if you look at the tag they are not hardy in our zone. Great way for the stores to sell more plants every year!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I am seeing more and more plants labeled as perennial but if you look at the tag they are not hardy in our zone. Great way for the stores to sell more plants every year!

most of the UK is zone 8 so hopefully wont get that but, caveat emptor!

Ask a Question