addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
View attachment 138063 HA! hard-working mods...ha, again, I say; seems OURS are out BEEing BEEusy!

Oh, wait, did I say that out loud? Shhhhhh, addy might bee listenin'!!

LOL

(just j/k ing, addy; don't put me in time out! I'm SURE you're woking doing sumthin'! heh heh)
BEEing BEEusy like you say, today inspected 7 hives, two without queens darn them, now need to find queens, hard this time of year.
Tomorrow go through 10 hives see how they are doing. This is our BEEusy time of year. Once nectar flow starts things slow down a tiny bit. Then mow the grass, pretend to pull weeds.

Oh and had a 6 inch drop in the pond water. Found a hole in one of the loop ponds. I fixed the down slope weak side, refolding the extra liner. Not sure if I made the hole or it was already there so when I redid the side got the hole where water flowed out. Luckily always know the best place to check for leaks. Easy fix, refold lol

Oh and lil bear needs his hour of play time, morning and evening. He demands it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
BEEing BEEusy like you say, today inspected 7 hives, two without queens darn them, now need to find queens, hard this time of year.
Tomorrow go through 10 hives see how they are doing. This is our BEEusy time of year. Once nectar flow starts things slow down a tiny bit. Then mow the grass, pretend to pull weeds.

Oh and had a 6 inch drop in the pond water. Found a hole in one of the loop ponds. I fixed the down slope weak side, refolding the extra liner. Not sure if I made the hole or it was already there so when I redid the side got the hole where water flowed out. Luckily always know the best place to check for leaks. Easy fix, refold lol

Oh and lil bear needs his hour of play time, morning and evening. He demands it!
how does a whole hive lose its queen? Does she just die? And all the rest keep on keepin' on like nothing is wrong? Seems you'd have a lot of disfunction if the brains of the outfit stops telling all the grunts what to do...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@kelpie sorry we are drifting off your topic..............we are bad about that. Really send it to me via email and I will make it a article. Something I have not done, but should be easy.

how does a whole hive lose its queen? Does she just die? And all the rest keep on keepin' on like nothing is wrong? Seems you'd have a lot of disfunction if the brains of the outfit stops telling all the grunts what to do...
She sometimes just dies, actually the workers in the hives (all gals) tell the queen what to do. Her smell is the glue of the hive, if she is gone they lose focus, esp if there are no eggs to grow a emergency queen. This hive, for some reason, choose to replace her, ie she was weak, out of eggs, not producing brood. So they make a supersede queen, they make a few of them, one emerges kills all the others, then must mate. Our weather is not good mating weather, yet, been wet, cold, windy, she probably went out on a mating flight and did not make it back. birds, frogs, etc eat them. Our mating weather is coming up.

They fly in a very specific area, covers miles, where drones will fly everyday, (with good weather) waiting for a queen to show up. They mate the drone drops dead, the more she mates with the better queen she is.

If they are queenless long enough the hive becomes a laying worker hive, ie the worker gals start laying eggs, 2-4 per cell. All will be drones, since they have no stored sperm. If they are laying workers long enough, you lose the hive, can not revert them back to accepting a queen, they will just kill her if you introduce one. We then have to just dump the bees out and start over.

This hive is one of our big hives, tons of bees, no brood, the workers are filling the hive with nectar, which is good, but no brood which is bad, eventually they would just die out. So to save them we are buying a queen, it will get here Friday. If it was good mating weather we would put in a frame of eggs and let them grow a queen. The frame from another hive, the egg must be one day old.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
@kelpie sorry we are drifting off your topic..............we are bad about that. Really send it to me via email and I will make it a article. Something I have not done, but should be easy.

She sometimes just dies, actually the workers in the hives (all gals) tell the queen what to do. Her smell is the glue of the hive, if she is gone they lose focus, esp if there are no eggs to grow a emergency queen. This hive, for some reason, choose to replace her, ie she was weak, out of eggs, not producing brood. So they make a supersede queen, they make a few of them, one emerges kills all the others, then must mate. Our weather is not good mating weather, yet, been wet, cold, windy, she probably went out on a mating flight and did not make it back. birds, frogs, etc eat them. Our mating weather is coming up.

They fly in a very specific area, covers miles, where drones will fly everyday, (with good weather) waiting for a queen to show up. They mate the drone drops dead, the more she mates with the better queen she is.

If they are queenless long enough the hive becomes a laying worker hive, ie the worker gals start laying eggs, 2-4 per cell. All will be drones, since they have no stored sperm. If they are laying workers long enough, you lose the hive, can not revert them back to accepting a queen, they will just kill her if you introduce one. We then have to just dump the bees out and start over.

This hive is one of our big hives, tons of bees, no brood, the workers are filling the hive with nectar, which is good, but no brood which is bad, eventually they would just die out. So to save them we are buying a queen, it will get here Friday. If it was good mating weather we would put in a frame of eggs and let them grow a queen. The frame from another hive, the egg must be one day old.

Its ok thanks addy, managed with the help of Mitch 560 to sort out an easy way of doing it via email :)

Always interesting to hear about Apiology, but such a wonderful topic deserves it's own heading! [edit; sorry I meant Forum not heading :) ]

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hi mitch, and welcome :)
If you want to PM me with your email address I'll send it over. tried with the help of addy to put in on here but without success..
You could just put it all into a shared google doc and drop just the link here and make it view only. That way you could keep updating it and we would only see the latest version.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
You could just put it all into a shared google doc and drop just the link here and make it view only. That way you could keep updating it and we would only see the latest version.
thanks Rashad. all sorted.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
mild
Country
United Kingdom
I've been pulling together a list of plants to be on the lookout for while touring the local pond shops. It's my shopping list as it were...

Anyway its ended up with 100 or so plants all with pics and still growing.. lol. (marginals, lilies, oxygen, and pond plants). its 30 pages and 5000 words so a bit big to upload it here. If youd like a copy pm me and we'll work something out... its aimed at UK climate which is 8. :)
Hi I would love to have a copy of your plant list ,how do I go about getting it please ?

Ask a Question