Pond Plants

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I am heading into my second fall, last fall I only had 1 lily plant which I just chopped all the green of and dropped it to the bottom of the pond. I added a few more plants and I am not sure how I should prep them for the winter. All my plants are hardy to my zone, I am in zone 5.

First one is a White primrose creeper (Marginal). This is the one I am mostly wondering about I have tamed it to only grown in the shallow rocky shelf around the one side of my pond, but it has lots of small leafs.

Flag Iris - I actually got these from a local stream I fish, not worried about the hardiness as I know they will grow back. Do I cut the green down to the root?

Blue Pickerel Rush - I am guessing I treat this one like the lily? Cut all the green down to the base?

Creeping jenny - Do I leave this one alone or do I cut it back?

Mazus - Do I leave this one alone or do I cut it back?

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I cut back anything that is in or near the pond, just to keep the decaying remains from falling in the pond. Makes for much easier clean up in the spring.

The only exception is tall rushes - I like the way they look all winter and they are so sturdy that they stand tall even in heavy snow. I wait and cut those back or pull out the dead parts in the spring when the new growth appears.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Creeping jenny in the bog is left alone, in the pond any in the water gets cut back to the edge.
Iris I leave the green, it stays green here sticking up through the ice, looks nice.

Pickerel, I cut back

Ask a Question