Pond plumbing question

studiovette

GS PETE
Reaction score
In the process of getting my pond up and running for the first time. It wasn't winterized since we moved into the house a few months ago. Unfortunately had a return line busted along with couple of elbows and a UV bulb and sleeve! Hopefully pump is good.
So my question is this. Can I use any type of pvc piping to fix it? Do I need any special cement or glue since its for outdoor use in a pond? Probably a stupid question but never had a pond before and don't want to make a rookie mistake lol. Also right above where the pipe cracked it appears to be a check valve. I will try to post pics shortly. I was thinking off adding a shut off valve there to prevent this from happening again. Unfortunately this is holding me up from starting up my filter and want to get this thing up and running already so your help is greatly appreciated!!!

Attachments

• 20130419_135218.jpg
    20130419_135218.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 234
  • 20130419_135213.jpg
    20130419_135213.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 276

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use the thick wall pvc stuff, white. The normal pvc glue and the purple primer. A shut off valve will work, I use them the ones you can unscrew. You would not want to shut off the water and leave water in the line behind the shut off valve, it would rupture that pipe.

I take my shut off valves in for the winter, again leaving the lines open.

I have the rubber connections in line in my piping for the winter, I pull the lines apart where the rubber connections are which allows water to drain out and also allows for expansion from ice. So far third winter, no broken pipes. The pipes do sit with water in them, but being open they don't break.

I disconnect the ball valve and the rubber connectors, pull the line for the winter, the turn, the long lines stay put. Most have water in them over winter, but all open

DSC05420.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Glad it helped, I ran out right before the storm hit to get the pic for you.
My pump is external, the big gray thing to the bottom of the pic is covering the pond pump that goes to the bog, two inch lines. The new white T is going to the new 1000 gallon stock tank that I am plumbing in, it too can get be released, has a ball valve near the bottom, just unscrew and bring in for the winter.
The blackish tote to the top covers the pump that pushes water up the hill to the deck pond and stream, one inch line. It handles 115 feet of head pressure.

Both get pulled in for the winter, just disconnect the rubber connections, in they come. Every now and then during the summer I check the rubber ones to make sure the bands are still tight, takes just a few moments. So far have never had a failure.
I end up with the piping from the ball valve you can see to the big pump removed, just hang it on the porch for the winter. The rest just stay in place.

studiovette

GS PETE
Reaction score
addy1 said:
Glad it helped, I ran out right before the storm hit to get the pic for you.
My pump is external, the big gray thing to the bottom of the pic is covering the pond pump that goes to the bog, two inch lines. The new white T is going to the new 1000 gallon stock tank that I am plumbing in, it too can get be released, has a ball valve near the bottom, just unscrew and bring in for the winter.
The blackish tote to the top covers the pump that pushes water up the hill to the deck pond and stream, one inch line. It handles 115 feet of head pressure.

Both get pulled in for the winter, just disconnect the rubber connections, in they come. Every now and then during the summer I check the rubber ones to make sure the bands are still tight, takes just a few moments. So far have never had a failure.
I end up with the piping from the ball valve you can see to the big pump removed, just hang it on the porch for the winter. The rest just stay in place.
Good news plumping all done. Added 2 shut off valves . Bad news my pump is shot . Opened it for inspection and motor was seized. Ooh well. Time for a new pump. Any recommendation on external pumps. A friend of mine swears by performancepro

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have used the evolution series, they just sip electricity, run very quiet, I have heard of performance pro, just not used one. Currently I am using a wave pump, (expensive) but pulled a pond down so had it to use.

Glad you got your plumping done!

Ask a Question