Pond plumbing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
If you're referring to automobile heater hose, it is not designed for exposure to UV light, so it would degrade quickly from sunlight exposure.
I would look for hose designed for outdoor pond use.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
3/4 inch hose seems pretty small for anything but the smallest of ponds,that and what mitch said.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
There are certain things you can skimp on, experiment with, jury-rig and generally screw with, but I don't think that the link between the pump and the external filter is one that I'd be willing to take a chance with.

A line failure between those two points can empty your pond in a very short period of time. Use proper line, stainless steel clamps and quick-connects. Although less pliable, smooth bore line is better than kinked.

I mean, really, we're talking about less than $2/ft for decent line.

Last edited:

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I used standard water hose for mine but it has proved too small a diameter for me and I'll be replacing it shortly. If you have a small pond and pump it would work.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Can I use 3/4" rubber heater hose from my pump in the pond to my external bio filter. Thanks.

What is the outlet size of the pump? What is the inlet size of the filter? Plumbing size should never be smaller than the outlet size of the pump. In most cases plumbing that is one or two sizes larger actually perform better in maximizing water flow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
If you have to go very far at all, go at least 2 sizes bigger than the pump mfg. recommends. Even bigger if a long run. You would be surprised how much flow loss you can get. Bacteria will grow on the inside walls of your tubing restricting flow even more. PVC is pretty cheap up to about 2-1/2". If your plumbing is sensitive to sunlight, like the white PVC, paint, wrap or bury it. Mice might chew on that heater hose if they get hungry enough.

Ask a Question