Pond preparation for long vacation

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have an 800 gallon koi pond with a skimmer and a waterfall. In the near future, I am going on a 2-week vacation and need some suggestions about preparing my pond for my absence. Currently, the pond will last only about 4-5 days without cleaning out the skimmer. Buildup of leaves and algae clog the skimmer filters and the pump begins to make a moaning noise as the water level in the skimmer drops. The pump is a Manta Series 2100 GPH that supposedly has an "overload sensor that prevents burnout." Does that mean that the pump will automatically shut down without harming the pump? If that is the case, will the fish survive if the pump shuts down after 6-7 days and the pond will be without circulation and aeration for 6-7 days until I return home? I have 16 fish totaling about 90 inches in length (4 koi and 12 goldies). The largest koi is about 14".

Will it help the pump stay running longer if I slow down the GPH with a variable speed controller? If so, can anyone suggest a reasonably priced controller for an asynchronous drive motor pump? How much should I show the GPH down? Any other suggestions on how to prepare the pond for my 2-week vacation will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh my, the realist in me says (but without solving your problem) I don’t think your fish will do well at all without frequent human intervention! Do you seriously have 4 koi in an 800 gallon pond ( + 14 goldfish ). Whatever you are doing, you must be doing it right, but any change in your care schedule (like not being there to clean…..much less, if the pump shuts down), is going to put the water quality in serious jeopardy. Again, I realize that I’m not answering your question, but my recommendation is to find someone you can trust, who is able to go by and check on the pond. Give them a lesson on all of your pond routines (and leave written instructions). Be sure they understand about things like adding a de-chlorinator if they add water, etc.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for your quick reply TurtleMommy. I agree with everything you said, but I don't have anyone here that can maintain the pond while I'm gone. This pond is my first koi pond project. I built it myself 5 years ago and have lost only one fish (about 6-months in). I started with two goldies and two koi. I'm trying to find a place to donate my goldies. Any suggestions on how to get rid of excess goldies? Do pet store take free goldies?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Do you have a pond store anywhere near you? They might have someone who would come in a few times and check the pond, etc. (For a charge, of course.) I remember a company called Critter Sitters - they have people who come feed cats and walk dogs -- maybe someone like that would come by for a lesson on emptying the skimmer. Then they could be your pond sitter. Just a couple of ideas. Good luck!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do you have a pond store anywhere near you? They might have someone who would come in a few times and check the pond, etc. (For a charge, of course.) I remember a company called Critter Sitters - they have people who come feed cats and walk dogs -- maybe someone like that would come by for a lesson on emptying the skimmer. Then they could be your pond sitter. Just a couple of ideas. Good luck!
Great ideas. Thanks, Bagsmom.

Ask a Question