Pond problems.. help!

Reaction score
I saw that post..

Let me repeat what I said...
I checked out a lot of previous posts but didn't find what I was looking for nor any details that I need.

I understand the need for a bio filter.. but I need to have that applied to my existing setup if possible. So.. let me try and explain what I have again and perhaps someone can let me know where BEST to apply a Bio Filter.

My pond is approx. 29' x 18' x 3' at it's longest, widest, deepest points. It has two bottom drains that go to a Y joint that comes up to a Hayward Super Pump (not sure of the HP. .but it's a Energy Efficient pump). From there it gets split off.. one way to a Biotech 10 filter with the 6 sponges and then to the waterfall. another way goes to the Hayward Sand Filter and then back to a line that goes to the waterfall and the third way off the pump goes to a line that is split from the line coming out of the sand filter. I have two paths to the waterfall. One from underneath going through two Matala filter pads (Blue and Green) and two bags of lava rock. The other path to the waterfall is a pipe that lets out above the water line from the Biotech 10 filter. So that's basically it. The distance from the drains to the pump is about 20' or so.. the distance from the filters to the waterfall is about 10'.

So.. given that setup.. would it be best for my situation to put bio beads/balls in the sand filter or to replace the lava rock in the waterfall? Oh.. forgot to mention I have a 36 watt UV filter right before the Biotech 10 sponge filter.

Thanks for any and all advice!
Dave

Reaction score
Replace the lava rock with Bio Balls and a high quality "benificial Bacteria" ...clean your falls and rocks with Eco Blast or similar oxegenator to kill off larger quantities of algae and let the bio system build up capacity...soon...clear water....maintain weekly

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Sounds a lot easier than removing the sand and putting the bio balls in there!

I can get two media bags and bio balls and put them in the waterfall over the two Matal filters. Will I need anything to help weigh the bags down or are the balls sufficient enough to stay down on their own? Do I need to concern myself with the amount of water coming out of the waterfall? Will the bacteria still work in running water?

Also, how would this be best maintained weekly?

Dave

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I thought you wanted instructions on how to build a maintenace free Bio Filter that removes algae. Sorry.:banghead3:

The method we use takes 30 to 45 seconds a week to clean with no getting your hands dirty or wet.:wink:

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
hay Dawson,,,,,what kind of details do you want? we dont know what your filter looks like....send a pic of your system....we can help.

Reaction score
Some filter manufacturers put the balls on the bottom...some (Aquascape I think) put them on the top...put a rock on top of them if you have a lot of water coming thru the falls. I used Microbelift PL until a Pond Guy told me to use a high quality dry bacteria...make sure I activate it propperly...and add more weekly for 3 weeks.

I would love to have a maintenance free unit like Dr Case...back flush for 15 min and water my flowers / plants...just don't have the room for a 55gal drum...great idea though

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I think DrCases backflush time is so long because of the sponges. If you use tubes, it is less than a minute to backflush.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
No..... i dont know where the 15 min came from ..45 seconds my filter is clean

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I figured he must have seen a post I missed. 45 seconds is about right. Last night I did mine for 60 seconds, but that is the longest I have ever done.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
i shut my valve and let the water build in the settling chamber, and dump it again ,,, , it does flush out more crud . it is very low maintenance..

Reaction score
I have an Aquscape 2500 Biofalls filter..it has 2 bulkheads at the bottom of the filter..one for water in from the pump / skimmer..the other can be used as a drain...except I am sening water to a Savio Biofalls unit that spills into the "lazy river"

If I add a drain or even a quick siphon hose..close both ball valves before shutting off pump..I could backwash my system the same way...drain would be better

Ask a Question