Pond pruner

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi, wondering if anyone has a long handled pond lily pruner they like. I have tried several and have not liked any. Either they are too heavy or cumbersome or just don't do the job. Also trying to find a good sized leaf net but I want one without a fine water holding mesh. again, I need some distance (4-5') and would like a mesh that's larger (maybe1/2" give or take). Ty

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a nice pruner at home, of course I don't know the name of it. I have had it around 20 years, but even though it cuts nicely, I find it way easier to pull the lilies out or wade into the pond to groom them.

It is hard to see what you are cutting when the lilies are in full growing mode, i.e. a ton of leaves and flowers.

For my net for the pond I use a leaf net made for pools. Works great, it is a finer mesh but moves easily through the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have a nice pruner at home, of course I don't know the name of it. I have had it around 20 years, but even though it cuts nicely, I find it way easier to pull the lilies out or wade into the pond to groom them.

It is hard to see what you are cutting when the lilies are in full growing mode, i.e. a ton of leaves and flowers.

For my net for the pond I use a leaf net made for pools. Works great, it is a finer mesh but moves easily through the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I find it's easier to just put only waders and pull the pots out and cut them back. I did it on one of last warm days, made me sad, as there was a lily in bloom :(

I got my net from Foster's and Smith. It's a fine mesh, as I used to have a cedar tree over the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I do like @addy1 - wade in and clean a whole bunch out at a time. I probably pull a bushel out every other week from June through October. If they've even started to look faded when I'm in, they go. It encourages new pads to grow.

And we also bought a good pool net with two interchangeable heads. The nets sold by pond stores are cheap and barely lasted a season. We were replacing them constantly. This one was more expensive initially but it's on the fourth season with no signs of wear, so well worth it in the long run.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I do like @addy1 - wade in and clean a whole bunch out at a time. I probably pull a bushel out every other week from June through October. If they've even started to look faded when I'm in, they go. It encourages new pads to grow.

And we also bought a good pool net with two interchangeable heads. The nets sold by pond stores are cheap and barely lasted a season. We were replacing them constantly. This one was more expensive initially but it's on the fourth season with no signs of wear, so well worth it in the long run.
What brand of net? Can you post a picture?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I find it's easier to just put only waders and pull the pots out and cut them back. I did it on one of last warm days, made me sad, as there was a lily in bloom :(

I got my net from Foster's and Smith. It's a fine mesh, as I used to have a cedar tree over the pond.
I thought it was just me...same thing, I had to cut off a gorgeous tropical. almost cried.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States

Thanks..I'll check around. my problem has been the mesh has been so fine they drag too much water and are too heavy for me. ( lots of arthritis) I need a corse net that won't hold much water, is light, and gets the leaves and extends. I'll check out the pool supplies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I

I just go in cold! I got those neoprene waders and I can't even move!

Ask a Question