Pond pump and filter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have just moved house and inherited a fish pond and don't know what I'm doing and would like some advice, I've been told the previous owners have done it wrong as had to let 2 koi go as pond to small,
The pond is a 1600 litre kidney shaped pond and it has a pontec eco 5000 and a 5000 pressure filter at top of waterfall, the waterfall is 1.7m high from pond surface and there is currently 8 goldfish type in pond, and it gets alot of full sun during the day, what I would like to do is buy a new pressure filter and put it at bottom of waterfall and run pipe up to top of waterfall, I've been told get the biggest filter that you can afford and I'm looking at the oase filtoclear, but as the filter isn't that old can i still use it with a bigger filter, any help would be appreciated.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1621888934746.gif
and welcome @Stevewood
Could you have room to build a bog filter? Lots have them on here and they swear by them! Wish I would have done so!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey @Stevewood. Welcome.

I've been told get the biggest filter that you can afford

If you have the physical space, that would probably be a bog filter. :)

I'm sure a lot of people here have pressure filters and are also happy with their ponds, but the most active members here, I find, have moved on from that technology and prefer bog filters. But we also seem to lean heavily towards the "water gardening" type. There are also koi fanatics who wouldn't be caught dead with a bog filter.

Here's a question for you: How much maintenance do you mind doing? You can fit a lot of filtration into a small space if you don't have much to work with, but it requires regular maintenance. You can't let it go or you run into trouble. If you spend a lot of money, you can get a fancy RDF filter that will do most of that maintenance for you. That's what the koi folks seem to like.

Bog filters also require maintenance. Probably the same amount as any other filter, but done all at once each year or so pruning the plants in it and, if necessary, back flushing.

So, a little bit of maintenance every day or or week? Or save it all up to do at once?

Ask a Question