Pond pump and gallons per hour

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I am trying to decide on the pump size. I am doing a 5 by 7 foot pond 1.5 feet deep, approx 360 gallons. Will be rectangle in shape. Im debating on the size of pump. I dont plan on fish right now or in gerneral. I was thing of a 90gph pump which will circulate the whole pond in about 4 hours (6 times a day).

Think this will be good?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a fishless deck pond, it freezes up and is to shallow for fish. Anyways, I have a 250 or so gph pump circulating the water, which is around 500 gallons counting both ponds. The pond does decently, but algae loves to grow in it, since it is a slow flow. It does keep the mosquitoes at bay.

The deck pond also gets flushed out with the big ponds water when the stream pump turns on via the timer.

I would go with a bigger pump, the electricity usage will not be that much different.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
You need to recirculate the entire pond in 45 minutes with that pond size. 4 hours does not move water fast enough and promotes waste accumulation and dead pockets. Faster water helps with gas exchange. Even a large pond must exchange the total volume in 90 minutes or so.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
look at all the new energy savings pumps also .The savings verses the cost will be well worth it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
You need to recirculate the entire pond in 45 minutes with that pond size. 4 hours does not move water fast enough and promotes waste accumulation and dead pockets. Faster water helps with gas exchange. Even a large pond must exchange the total volume in 90 minutes or so.
that rule is with fish load , i dont think there would be that much circulation needed or waste product

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to decide on the pump size. I am doing a 5 by 7 foot pond 1.5 feet deep, approx 360 gallons. Will be rectangle in shape. Im debating on the size of pump. I dont plan on fish right now or in gerneral. I was thing of a 90gph pump which will circulate the whole pond in about 4 hours (6 times a day).

Think this will be good?

What do you want this pond for? Frogs? Just vegetation?

Without knowing what your objective is, it's impossible to advise.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
In a fishless pond (aka Water Garden), the only valid reason for circulating the water is to inhibit mosquito breeding.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Sound also or you could just use an aerator but the babbling sound of water is soothing

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would go with a bigger pump also if you want more noise .So guessing it will be just a pump with a fountain head and no filter .So a pump with a foam filter .If no fish to stop algae and keep water clear you could use a little peroxide or you could use a pond water cleaner

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
I hate to say it but if your primary value is the aesthetics of the sound, there are so many variables, in any acoustic environment other than just trial and error. I like the sound of my waterfall the has an 19 inch weir, flowing 2,500 GPH over a 6 inch drop and has a 4 inch thick void space behind the cascade for echo, that would never work in a 360 gallons pond. My suspicion is a 90gph pump, might work on an indoor "zen fountain", but would be overwhelmed by ambiant noise outdoors; 350-500 GPH might be a better match to start with. If you going toward a sprayer head fountain, there are usually valves included to throttle back the flow.

Ask a Question