pond pump/filter question

Reaction score
I am building a pond that is about 8' x 6' with a max depth of 4' - I'm looking at a Laguna Max Flo 1500 pump to power a pretty serious waterfall. Questions:

Is this pump strong enough?
Are these pumps any good?
Do I need to have a separate filtering system?

Thank you for your help here. I really want to buy a good pump that will last for many years. The first time!!!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
laguna pumps are good pumps and easy on the electric bill. if you plan on a pressure filter you will need to move up in pump GPHs. how serious of a waterfall are you thinking about? 1500 gph will make a nice waterfall thats proportionate to your ponds size which will be in the ball park of 1400 gals, but if you want a big falls youll need a bigger pump.

Reaction score
Yep! I agree with koiguy. I had my Laguna Max Flo 4200 and it worked wonders. I still have it just in case my external filter every konks out as an emergency back-up.

You need to go higher in GPH than the 1500.

Reaction score
Thank you for your responses. So, does that mean I don't need an external filter because the laguna max flo has one built in? Or, do I just not need a filter at all for a pond of this size?

Sorry for the noob questions - I'm brand new to this

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You only need a external filter if you want to keep your water clear

Reaction score
Oh! Of course you need a filter!! A pump is not a filter--the pump simply pulls the water from the pond and pushes it into a filter. Laguna makes a great pressure flo filter that you might want to consider if you're interested in just buying something off the shelf.

If you are handy and can DIY something. Look at the stickies in our DIY forum, which can help you build a filter out of a 55 gallon barrel.

Reaction score
55 gallon drum? That's not gonna happen. I am very handy and could easily handle a DIY. What about something involving a 5 gallon bucket?

Are there smaller, submersible filters? Or even all in one setups?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
a 5 gal bucket will be just fine if your only gonna have a few goldfish . at even 1000gph, the water would spend about 3.5 seconds in filtration... not much time for bascterial function. but i guess you could get some mechanical filtration out of it. if you want an efficent filter and a clean healthy enviroment for your fish, think, a bigger filter and plants (the more the better ). try a stocktank filter theyre lower profile than the drums, making them real easy to hide as a waterfall basin filter, and perform great..i have and use one of each. i have plans for one in the DIY section. or google SKIPPY FILTER.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
heres my waterfall with my 70 gal skippy style filter ...the filter is the center of the falls you fill it with water hiacynths and lettuce ..it disappears.

Attachments

• 1_SANY0655.jpg
    1_SANY0655.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 326
Reaction score
if you're going to have an 8x6x4 pond, a 5 gallon bucket will do nothing. If you want something truly small and compact, then do a store bought pressure filter. You can even bury them up to their cover so you don't see anything.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Could I use a pressurized filter for a 2500 gal pond? If so what kinds are the best? All I have right now is a 20 gal plastic bucket w/ holes and my pump in the middle of some fiber matts and I have to haul it up and down w/ ropes attached. It is a pain in the butt and I am not able to make one of those do it yourself thingies that you all talk about. If the pressurized filter won't work is there another type of filter that I can buy that can be put in the ground and how much do these things run in price appx? Just trying to make things easier on my back. Thanks, jw :yikesu:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
JW...you could absolutely use a pressurized on your pond on its own, but a stocktank or barrel or even trash can uplow style filter after it wouild make an extremely efficient system. the pressure filter would accomplish a great deal of mechanical filtration and allow the upflow filter to remain at its most efficient with minimal waste buildup.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
sorry i have to finish in a second post my daughter interupted me... but you may need a stronger pump because pressure filters have minimum pressure requirements. they add resistance to waterflow and require a minimum flow for the backwash function to perform properly.

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
JW...you could absolutely use a pressurized on your pond on its own, but a stocktank or barrel or even trash can uplow style filter after it wouild make an extremely efficient system. the pressure filter would accomplish a great deal of mechanical filtration and allow the upflow filter to remain at its most efficient with minimal waste buildup.

I am planning something just like this. As I said in other threads I’m going to be making 100GL stock tank filter with a TETRA POND BIO-ACTIVE PRESSURE FILTER BP1500 W/UV as a mechanical filter. I might be able to get by without the UV part. What do you think Koiguy? I’m going to have either a 2000GPH or 2500GPH pump on a 2000GL pond.

What is an adequate amount of time in the filter?
A 100GL stock tank with a 2500 GPH pump would be 2.4 min
A 100GL stock tank with a 2000 GPH pump would be 3 min
Either way it’s not much of a difference. And that’s not accounting for the loss of flow from the falls height or the pressure filter. Have any idea about loss from the pressure filter? I know how to find the head height.

Thanks all

Ask a Question