Pond Pump & Filter selection

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m trying to select a pump & filter for my outdoor pond. I have a rectangular pond that is 20 feet long & 2 feet wide. Half the length is 1 foot deep and the other half is 0.5 foot. So the maximum total volume is 30 cu feet or 224 gallons. I currently have four gold fish and no plants. The pond is in shade and gets very little direct sun shine. I live in Southern California where the pond water temperature is probably between 45-70 deg throughout the year. I need a solution that keeps the water clean and healthy for the fish using a submersible pump & filter. I appreciate any advice.

Thank you!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I love my Pondmaster 2400 mag drive submersible pump but you don't need one that big. They have smaller ones. Got mine at Big Als http://www.bigalsonline.com/Pond_Pumps_Mag-Drive-Pond-Pump_7758593_82.html?tc=pond
They have free shipping on orders over $75. so you could add some fish food or what ever to bring it up to that price. I've had mine for 10yrs now and it's still working fine. You can make your own filter, just check the DIY section here :lol:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oops now I thought I welcomed you here somewhere but here I go again in case I'm lost here somehow :cool:

welcome-3.gif
pond enthusiast

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome pond to our pond and would think there your water would get warmer than that .I shade covered mine and water is over 75 and probably going up as I type .sorry cheapo here harbor freight pumps 22 to to 30 dollars is all I paid and had one for over 7 years .Northern tools has them also and big als is cheap I agree .Ahhh jw your brain may be water logged from all that rain ,You need a hat when you go out lol.Or was it from all that wood you carried

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use the evolution series pump, external, low electricity use. A diy filter will work well for you and not expensive to make.

Reaction score

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
pond enthusiast said:
Thanks for all the advice, :regular_waving_emot
Given the geometry of the pond which is rather long (20 feet) but narrow (2 ft) and shallow (0.75 ft avg) where is the optimum location to place the pump and the filter?
Also, if I get an off the shelf bio-filter, is the one in the link below + the 210 GPH Beckett pump a good choice?
Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/Beckett-7078510-Filter-without-Pump/dp/B000MRSU4E/ref=pd_sim_ol_4

start a thread in the construction area about your build, you will get a lot of help that way.

With it that shallow I would stick with an external pump, that is around 300 gallons, so you would want a larger pump, more gph

But I see you want a submersible pump,, you need one small enough to be under water.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thats a small pump and the distance the water travels cuts down gph

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
All your other threads have been deleted, PLEASE, Do not make the same post in multiple areas (Threads) I have merged the threads together and deleted the extras so all your answers are in one place.

Ask a Question