Pond pump needed?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am looking into getting a patio pond and wondering if having plants and maybe goldfish is enough to keep water clean. Do you ABSOLUTELY NEED a pump/filter? Thanks

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Couldn't hurt to add one, size of pond does matter however.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
A pond with a volume of 30 gallons is going to be very unstable regarding its water condition I would have thought. What are its dimensions, did you really mean 30 gallons, is there a zero missing, can you go bigger, it would be of great benefit if you could?
Where will it be situated in regards to the sun as it will heat up tremendously being so small, that would'nt be very good for the fish. On the flip side, it will chill/freeze very easily too. Temp fluctuations as wide as what I suspect it will suffer aren't good for fish health really.
Have no idea where in the US you are, please do tell, maybe you don't get low temps, but then you could get high temps?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Just done a quick calculation, a circular pond that's 2.5feet x 1foot gives a volume of 31gallons, that's very small.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have a patio pond - I keep a small airstone and a spitter going in mine. No filter though. The spitter is more for looks and sound than anything. Mine has lots of plants and four good sized goldfish. Plus one frog who is of the opinion that I set the whole thing up for him!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
30 US galls = 26 Imperial gallons, that makes it even smaller than I thought. What size/gallonage is yours Lisa, just out of interest? It sounds nice.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
If you are going to put plants in there, then the best you could do is two goldfish in there. Make them both females or males so they don't produce. Anymore and you will have water issues. Pump is not necessary in this scenario but a plus.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Mine is about 30 gallons I'm guessing. I've never really calculated it, though.

Here's a picture - my plants are REALLLLLY slow this year. That elephant ear should be four times that size by now. Cool weather is stunting everything, I think. If you look closely, you'll see the resident frog. He's there every day, like clockwork. Leaves around 5PM - goes home to the wife and kids, I imagine!
IMG_2488.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Please ignore my electrical cord there... that obedient plant (thanks @addy1 !) is supposed to be hiding that not so pretty part!

Ask a Question