Pond Pump Puzzlement

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have just moved in to a house that has a pond in which the previous owners used to keep koi fish, about a dozen. Attached is a photo of the pump and filter setup. There is a Tetrapond filter (looks like a green barrel) with a pump, and there is also a bigger unit, I think made by Laguna, that I'm unsure of the purpose of, but which is also pumping.

Unfortunately the previous owners are not in contact, so I cannot ask them why there are two pumps/filters.

I'd welcome comments on what we have! I believe the pond is about 3ft deep and has a volume of at least 1000 gallons.

Thanks!
Julian

Attachments

• IMG_1726.JPG
    IMG_1726.JPG
    320.3 KB · Views: 270
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
To me it looks like they added extra filtration. The owners may have found the first one was not enough to keep up with the fish load and water volume. BTW welcome to forum

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I agree with @RobAmy - looks like you have two filters. Seems odd on a 1000 gallon pond though - what are the dimensions of the pond? We'd love to see a picture! We love ponds!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and that is a pressure filter and maybe has a built in uv and has a back flush on it .You can check how it works on youtube .Welcome to our family

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for all the replies - very useful! Attached is a photo of the whole pond with koi fish. It's roughly semicircular, with 9ft diameter. Perhaps I've underestimated the volume as 1000 gallons, it may be more.

Attachments

• IMG_1551.jpg
    IMG_1551.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 227

Ask a Question