Pond pump question

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am needing to purchase a new pump for my 2500 gallon duck pond. I need a pump able to handle sand and small debris. I have searched and there are many brands out there that say they handle solids “trash pumps”. What brands do some of you recommend. I have been experimenting running my filtration in front of the pump, but so far it hasn’t worked out well, but the pump I have now is way under sized.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a 3600 GPH pump from Home Depot. It’s “solids-handling,” but it’s been contained with a pre-filter. Six years of constant use. No issues. But I can’t see where a pump for a duck pond would necessarily need to handle “sand and small debris.” Is the pond lined or is it a natural pond?

If you have pictures, it might be helpful. @RobAmy, don’t you have a lot of bird-visitors to your pond? What kind of pump set-up do you use?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have a 4800gph solid handling pump in my skimmer which does have a basket and a filter pad before it reaches the pump. I also have 2 1800gph pondmaster mag drive pumps in the pond and use the Matala's EZ Bio 20 Dual Core Pre-Filter on them. No issues with any of them with the ducks and birds.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I built the pond about 3 weeks ago and it is lined. I have been working on landscaping the surrounding areas and have knocked a lot of dirt and debris into it. It is also surrounded by a lot of large trees. I would like a pump that I can use to clean out the mess in there now and also serve as the main filtration pump. I am ordering round Matala for a barrel filter system that I’m am building now. At the moment I just have a 1500gph pump as aeriation to keep the water moving.

I thought about possibly using an external pump behind the filter to limit the sand and dirt pulled through the pump; but not sure how to regulate the out flow vs in flow to keep it constant.

I will try to get some pictures today. Thanks for your replies

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Gmod A lot of us just use a pool skimmer-type net to scoop stuff (including leaves and other debris) off the bottom of our ponds. If you’re intending to use a pump for this, look at the specs and see what SIZE particles the pump is designed to handle.

As for your question of how to set up a pump, I would suggest that you start a separate thread to ask for advice — use the topic “pond construction and equipment.” (I have asked the mods to move this one into that topic as well). It’s perfectly OK to post it all here, but members might not catch an equipment and set up question if it’s all buried under a “newbie” topic. Just trying to help your questions be seen by the most people who can assist you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you, and Yes I have been using a pool net for skimming and that is what I plan on for the duration. My main concern is if I’m going to spend the money for a pump, I want to make sure I get the best bang for my buck. ( A reliable brand, ) that can handle the torture of getting the sand, dirt and stuff out of there now and still be used as my main filtration pump once the initial clean up is completed.

I’m figuring on 3000gph+ as the intended area for my filter is up hill about 3 or 4 feet and about 15 feet from the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
I agree with Mmathis. I would remove the debris on the bottom with a net or a pond vacuum. Pond pump are not intended to remove sand and other large pieces of debris like leafs. All of the pumps I have ever used or read about need some sort of pre filter to keep stuff like that from damaging the pump. In a pond that size I would put your pump, or its intake at least a foot off of the pond bottom and use a pre filter.
As far as a pump that is up to you. I grew up on a farm with duck pond and we just dug an earth bottom pond and filled it. The ducks like to root in the mud for food.
Ducks poop allot and all of that waste is going to go in that pond. So unless you just have a couple ducks in the pond you are going to need a filter system the size Texas to keep your water clear.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@Gmod Just a suggestion, but if your pond is about 2500 gallons I would shoot for 5000 gallons per hour total. How you accomplish that is up to you as far as number and location of pumps, but I have found that circulating the water volume 2x per hour helps tremendously when it comes to maintaining water quality and water clarity.

Ask a Question