j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I like Pondmaster..........others like Laguna.........the cheaper ones you can get at Harbor Freight but I don't know how much electricity those last ones eat up. Maybe somebody can tell you that if they use them :fish:

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
ZmanArt007 said:
My pond is less than a year old, and two submersible pumps have already broken... I need some advise on what submersible pumps to get... Ones that I can afford...:fish:

Question, Do you have a screen to filter out larger items before the water reaches the pump? That is a must for extended pump life. I was using pondmaster pumps and had them directly in the pond, about one year was what I could get out of them, I started using a skimmer with pre-filter and the same exact pump I replaced once a year for three years before has lasted me two years and still running good.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Weird fishin, cuz I've been using the same one for 8 yrs w/no problems at all :rolleyes:

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
JW, when it was in the pond directly I kept getting string algae, and root pieces and everything else into the impeller end. More than once I had to go cut roots out and the pump would be extremely hot. NO WONDER THEY DIED QUICK. My mistake was no screen, sponge, filter nothing and it set directly on the bottom. Now that I have this one in the skimmer box and the other in a basket I seem to have minimized that problem.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ahh yes, mine has always been in a filter box surrounded by matting so I can now understand the difference. This year I have changed it tho and it sits on the bottom of the pond but has the plastic shield filter thingy on the end and I also wrapped some nylon netting around that to protect the little fishes. I have the filter matting cut up in pieces now in my waterfall filter container so that the water from the pond is going from the pump to the falls filter. I did that cuz I got tired of hauling that bottom filter bucket in and out........it's heavy. Now I still have to clean out the falls filter by hand but no lugging out of the pond. We'll see how it does. I know I should have one of those DIY drum dealies but didn't plan for that when I should have. DH made me the falls filter out of stainless steel so I can't do away w/ all his hard work on it now can I :rolleyes:

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
j.w said:
Ahh yes, mine has always been in a filter box surrounded by matting so I can now understand the difference. This year I have changed it tho and it sits on the bottom of the pond but has the plastic shield filter thingy on the end and I also wrapped some nylon netting around that to protect the little fishes. I have the filter matting cut up in pieces now in my waterfall filter container so that the water from the pond is going from the pump to the falls filter. I did that cuz I got tired of hauling that bottom filter bucket in and out........it's heavy. Now I still have to clean out the falls filter by hand but no lugging out of the pond. We'll see how it does. I know I should have one of those DIY drum dealies but didn't plan for that when I should have. DH made me the falls filter out of stainless steel so I can't do away w/ all his hard work on it now can I :rolleyes:

LOL, no hard to get rid of items like that! make sure and keep a close eye on that pump inlet, they can clog very quickly and that's when it starts taking toll on the pump. i run a submersible pump with two box filters in my 300 gallon pond, They filter out all the big stuff but I still get algae string into the pump sometimes, since I started using barley bales in t that has really slow down as well. learning every day.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No jw you dh would wonder why you did not like all his hard work!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yes fishin I should check it. I can see that the falls are still running and if it slows down that is a signal also to check it. I may have to put it inside a small pot surrounded by fiber matt but not a big huge one like I had trouble getting out before.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Addy he would be totally upset w/ me if I changed the filter falls to something else for sure, for sure after all is hard work :banana:

Ask a Question