Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I have 3 pumps in total and two of them have these very large pores filters and I was wanting to know if it would be okay to put them in a mesh basket to keep leaves and other debris from sticking to the sides of the intake on the pump ?
pondmaster-magnetic-drive-pump-pre-filter.jpg

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
As long as the mesh size of the basket is small enough to prevent debris from reaching the pump and damaging it. These foam prefilters are strictly there to protect the pump.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I love my laguna pumps they have a cage and just hang them from a pipe and take them out every 2 or 3 months hose them off and back in they go .

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
As long as the mesh size of the basket is small enough to prevent debris from reaching the pump and damaging it. These foam prefilters are strictly there to protect the pump.
Okay thanks. I planned to leave the pre filter in place but just wanted the basket to serve as a extra barrier that is far enough away from the intake that the suction force don't hold any leafs etc stuck to it's sides.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 2 pumps and learned a long time ago never to rely on 1 pump because if it does go out you are in a mad rush to find another one .And for some reason it will happen .Better safe than sorry .

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Marshall why do you have so many pumps? Wouldn't one pump plumbed to several places be more cost efficient?
The problem is that with turtles and fish I have different filters and conditioning systems that all run at different pressures so for my particular application the multiple pumps gauged to perfect pressure work best. If you only need to simply move water then yes less pumps would be a cheaper option no question but then again if you only have one and it fails... well ponds can be very delicate and a 2 - 6 hour gap with no moving water or filtration could be quite devastating so that should be taken into account also.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
OH DEAR .If you like turtle you can have my toads also :ROFLMAO:
I always tell people when they ask me if turtles taste good I say "Well rats, vultures and snakes seem to think so" Works every time

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well only thing I kill is veggies and fruit so would not know about other things like that .

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Just to be clear though I would consider shooting someone if they tried to kill my turtles but if they ate one well...My turtles are disgusting so I may call for an ambulance if you were that desperate for a meal... Turtles will eat shit so what are you eating if you eat a turtle? just saying :D

Ask a Question