Pond query.

Reaction score
Hi. I dug out a pond approx. 2x3m - to a depth of 2 metres some time ago. At the time, the plan was to put a koi pond in place. In any event, I was just busy (still am!) and just 'mothballed' the project.

Now looking at it again. I didn't really care previously - but looking at the running costs of the pumping and filtering kit that will be needed, I really don't think I can live with the running costs!

Therefore, I'm looking at other options.

One possibility...

I'm not even sure if this is any easier on running costs (but hopefully someone here can tell me).

I have a very large stream running at the end of my back garden - theres a few metres fall down to it. I could pump water up and in to pond and back out. I'm wondering if this is a runner or just a bad idea? The thinking is that the water will already be oxygenated (am i thinking along the right lines?) and although it would probably be more expensive to complete a total exchange of water, it wouldn't have to be done that often?

Does any of the above make any sense?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
You talking about using the stream water to circulate into the pond and back to the stream. This would be ok if your keeping native species of plants and fish which would cut costs of buying them. This is done in Japan for raising Koi. But in most places it would be illegal and not environmentally friendly if your thinking of keeping non-native plants, Koi, or goldfish as this could release eggs, fry or starts on invasive plant species in your area, Your local wildlife conservationist might get pretty nasty if that were to happen.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If you can afford to buy the pump and the cost of running it there are people here who can tell you about the DIY filters etc. or you can check it all out in those threads about building them yourself. There are step by step instructions and you can ask any questions you have about it if you have trouble. There are very efficient pumps on the market that don't take that much money to run them too.

Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
You talking about using the stream water to circulate into the pond and back to the stream. This would be ok if your keeping native species of plants and fish which would cut costs of buying them. This is done in Japan for raising Koi. But in most places it would be illegal and not environmentally friendly if your thinking of keeping non-native plants, Koi, or goldfish as this could release eggs, fry or starts on invasive plant species in your area, Your local wildlife conservationist might get pretty nasty if that were to happen.
Hi fishin4cars. Thanks for your mail. I understand where your coming from - however, i'm in Ireland where the local by-laws permit this.

If the pond is 9' 10' x 6' 7" x 6' 7", what would be the power requirement for pumps and filters on an ongoing basis?

If this is compared with the idea of pumping in and out water from the stream - how often would this need to be done? also, if the distance between the stream and the pond is 50' and there's a steep incline of 8' down to the stream, what pump could be used for this and is there likely to be any saving on running costs in comparison with running a pump/filters 24/7?

j.w. said:
There are very efficient pumps on the market that don't take that much money to run them too.
Whilst I don't mind capital outlay on a pump, ongoing costs concern me (and I'd suspect there's a different unit cost in comparison to you guys in the states). What pump system would your recommend based on a small pond as outlined above?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had a pond in colorado, pumped mountain stream water in and out. It worked great, no filter, water stayed clear. We did not pump every day or all day. Natural fish only there. We were at the headwaters of a large lake.

That would make a nice pond for you. You would need fish that could handle the temperature of the water etc.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You mentioned that the stream is in the back of the garden. How far will you have to pump the water from the stream to the pond? Depending on the distance and height you may end up needing a bigger pump to do it this way costing you more in electricity. You will need a pump no matter what and the DIY filters you can build pretty cheap so when deciding on which route to take keep in mind the electricity usage you may need if you have to have the bigger pump vs the smaller pump. So your upfront cost might be a little more but your cost over time might be more.

Outside of the cost of running my pump, the occasional water change and the food I feed the fish there is very little cost to keeping it. I do buy some water lettuce and hyacinth every year which cost about $20.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Hopefully someone else can help on the comparison, one I have never had to pump water up 8' That's a a pretty good head pressure then another 50' run of pipe plus any elbows is going to add more head pressure. My thinking is you would probably save more in the long run in running a DIY filter closer to the pond and using a smaller pump. I run my pumps 24/7 365 days a year. all 10 of them. Soon to be 11 or 12. never done a comparison, I buy for reliability, and ease of obtaining and swapping out when needed.
I'm sorry, If I can't afford to run my pumps I really don't need a pond to maintain, Cost of a pump and electricity is minimal, Compared to fish, plants, landscaping, deco, and making the wife happy so I can enjoy the hobby!

Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
Cost of a pump and electricity is minimal, Compared to fish, plants, landscaping, deco, and making the wife happy so I can enjoy the hobby!

Appreciate your post. Unfortunately, I am pretty sure that there would be a massive difference between electricity charges in the US and where I'm based (Ireland). I don't mind fixed costs - but running costs are an issue for me.

Maybe I can just have a 'natural' pond with scaled down water-oxygenation via pumping that might support other species....looks like koi are most definitely out of the question for me.

Thanks for the suggestions to date - to you all.

Rgds.

Borderfox

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Unfortunately that is a drawback of the Internet and information that can be gotten on Forums, there is plenty of good useful information but there is also availability and cost that from here to there we just can't know how it is. In the US we could be seriously fined and punished for releasing any non-native species, yet we import EVERY know animal in the pet trade that can be found. Pumps are no different except for power ratings and such can be far different there than here. Do they use 110v there or 220v? i know some use one some use the other, here we use both so pumps must be purchased not only for what the use in electricity but also to how they will be used and for what purpose.

Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
Do they use 110v there or 220v? i know some use one some use the other, here we use both so pumps must be purchased not only for what the use in electricity but also to how they will be used and for what purpose.
We're on 220 - and bear in mind it's very mild (most of the time it's 10C to 20C (or as you guys would say, 50F-68F) (and the higher end of that scale is few and far between!).

Therefore, species shouldn't be getting overstressed in those conditions. However, I guess you folks may be limited in being in a position to advise me what species would be best - given that your not totally familiar with the regional (conditional) variations.

If I could stock some other species (that are far less fussy than Koi) with a lower grade as regards pumping requirement - this is the route I'd like to take.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
goldfish a lot less fussy and shubunkins. and they can be really pretty. They survive my -8 f or so we can get to, I do not bring them in for the winter.

Reaction score
addy1 said:
goldfish a lot less fussy and shubunkins. and they can be really pretty. They survive my -8 f or so we can get to, I do not bring them in for the winter.
Thanks Addy1. Do you know if filtration or water circulation/pumping is still required with these?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol borderfox, some people give poor goldfish just a bowl to live in. I have a big bog with a pump that cycles the water every two hours, mine do fine. I have no algae problems, no water parameter problems. The pea gravel and plants take care of the pond. No uv, no big water turn over, no filters except the bog.

the pump is a es4200 low electricity use, my pond is around 10k gallons so around a turn over of the water every two hours or so. Water crystal clear.

I am in a different state, but I think the pump uses 1/4 hp of electricity, can't walk out and check it.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
there are some that keep goldfish with out any filter, just loads of plants, Is this the best way, I don't think it is but it can be done. With you temp being that constatnt if you can find plants that grow year round you could get away with lightly stocked goldfish and plants and only do water changes from the stream. It's very possible.

Ask a Question