Pond Re-Build, near completed

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Check with the store where you purchased it . Treated lumber here used to contain arsenic which is poison. The newer treatments contain a copper additive but it still is toxic. Not sure if there is some type of sealant that would make it safe.

Reaction score
if the timber is tanalised it will need sealed as the tanalising process involves the use of arsnic which will leach out with water and is very poisionous to fish, i would look intothis with where you baught the timber from, as most outdoor purpose timber is tanalised !

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
mrsclem said:
lay sheets of newspaper on top of the water. The oil will stick to the paper. I have done this when I had an old pump leak oil into the pond. You really need to watch your fish. Deck lumber here is treated with chemicals that are poison.

Great idea, I used a container and it took hours to skim all the oil when I had a pump leak. I wish I had thought of the newspaper, it would have save me a lot of time and effort.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Dr. Dave- I make sure not to buy any more oil filled pumps. Our local pond guy gave us the tip of the newspaper. It really does work.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Me too, I had a sump pump that the previous home owner had installed in the pond for the waterfall. Since those are HD, they usually have oil inside. Now I use Beckett and Harbor Freight pumps.

Reaction score
Im not sure about sealing the wood. But I know people building reptile cages use drylock to seal around chipboard to keep the chemicals from the wood and the wood from rotting. Its as easy as painting it over the wood.

Ask a Question