Pond re-do project in progress

Reaction score
(Please see attached photos.)

I have a in-ground concrete pond (approx 7ft wide x 6ft long x 4ft deep) that I sealed with a pool paint 2 years ago. It worked fine during that time and appeared to still have a bit of leakage as I had to put an additional 100 gallons of water in it each week or so in the summer. We live in Arizona. I had a placed stone rock wall water feature in the back with a pump on a separate switch. The 2nd pump was a bio filter that was on 24/7.

Recently I drained the pond and cleaned it out in anticipation of a patio re-do. I placed the little fishies in a holding tank with a pump.

Right now I have a construction team tearing up the old flagstone, tearing out the old rock border and will be laying in a poured concrete base with an applied treatment to make it look like real flagstone. The steps are getting re-done as well.

Since we have a 1 year old and one on the way need to build a rock wall around the pond (3 ft or so) with a 1-1.5 ft. section of wrought iron circling the top. I will also have the inside re-cemented which will allow me to bring the water level up 2-2.5 ft. so we can still see inside of it from a distance. I want to incorporate a built in water feature in the back. Some of the old flagstone from the patio will be placed around the top of the rock wall. I will also have water lighting inside the pond and water lilys. I had a lot of green water problems at first but once the pond matured it cleared up pretty good. I also utilized a UV filter on the water feature pump until the bulb burnt out and just stopped using it.

Does anyone know of some other things I need to be aware of during this add-on construction phase? I'd love to have any suggestions before they get started so I can implement them.

I guess this time I will be using a 2 part epoxy resin type of thing to seal the pond as the pool paint did not last very well. Any thoughts or products I should be aware of? This project will be very finished and natural.

THANKS!!

Attachments

• DSC_1600.jpg
    DSC_1600.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 341
  • DSC_1613.jpg
    DSC_1613.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 325
  • DSC_1617.jpg
    DSC_1617.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 338
  • DSC_1631.jpg
    DSC_1631.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 334
  • DSC_1638.jpg
    DSC_1638.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 333

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
welcome to the forum drewho1, have you thought about using a rubber linner ?? check pondliner.com . 45 mil epdm is what you want . you can redo your water fall and put rubber behind it. delbert

Reaction score
It might be an option. I am really going for the natural finished look and something that will last for a long time. I have always hated seeing a nice pond and then a dirty black plastic liner. My water feature is going to be a custom built piece that is cemented in and permanent with no leakage. I got so sick of always dealing with my last setup.

Thanks for the idea though.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
i never saw a concrete pond my self that held water ....but a have seen old storm cellars made out of concrete hold water, it might seep in .

Reaction score
There is actually neoprene rubber paint that is told to work very well. After a few coats it gets very thick and bends with the materials.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
are you going to raise the pond 1 1/2 to 2 ft to make it 6 ft deep

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
my grandaughter is 16m old i built a copper fence around the pond that meets the patio . i need to put in some rails around my bridge and deck very soon...my upper pond stands about 2 ft 4" to the top of the rocks ,i feel its safe when im watching her

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Since you have a lot of space next to the pond, why don't you build another pond that cascades into this one and pumps the water back up?

Ask a Question