Pond re-do project in progress

Discussion in 'Pond Construction & Equipment' started by drewh01, Mar 17, 2008.

1. drewh01

drewh01

(Please see attached photos.)

I have a in-ground concrete pond (approx 7ft wide x 6ft long x 4ft deep) that I sealed with a pool paint 2 years ago. It worked fine during that time and appeared to still have a bit of leakage as I had to put an additional 100 gallons of water in it each week or so in the summer. We live in Arizona. I had a placed stone rock wall water feature in the back with a pump on a separate switch. The 2nd pump was a bio filter that was on 24/7.

Recently I drained the pond and cleaned it out in anticipation of a patio re-do. I placed the little fishies in a holding tank with a pump.

Right now I have a construction team tearing up the old flagstone, tearing out the old rock border and will be laying in a poured concrete base with an applied treatment to make it look like real flagstone. The steps are getting re-done as well.

Since we have a 1 year old and one on the way need to build a rock wall around the pond (3 ft or so) with a 1-1.5 ft. section of wrought iron circling the top. I will also have the inside re-cemented which will allow me to bring the water level up 2-2.5 ft. so we can still see inside of it from a distance. I want to incorporate a built in water feature in the back. Some of the old flagstone from the patio will be placed around the top of the rock wall. I will also have water lighting inside the pond and water lilys. I had a lot of green water problems at first but once the pond matured it cleared up pretty good. I also utilized a UV filter on the water feature pump until the bulb burnt out and just stopped using it.

Does anyone know of some other things I need to be aware of during this add-on construction phase? I'd love to have any suggestions before they get started so I can implement them.

I guess this time I will be using a 2 part epoxy resin type of thing to seal the pond as the pool paint did not last very well. Any thoughts or products I should be aware of? This project will be very finished and natural.

THANKS!!

Attached Files:

drewh01, Mar 17, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. drewh01

DrCase Moderator Moderator

welcome to the forum drewho1, have you thought about using a rubber linner ?? check pondliner.com . 45 mil epdm is what you want . you can redo your water fall and put rubber behind it. delbert

DrCase, Mar 17, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. drewh01

drewh01

It might be an option. I am really going for the natural finished look and something that will last for a long time. I have always hated seeing a nice pond and then a dirty black plastic liner. My water feature is going to be a custom built piece that is cemented in and permanent with no leakage. I got so sick of always dealing with my last setup.

Thanks for the idea though.

drewh01, Mar 18, 2008
  4. drewh01

i never saw a concrete pond my self that held water ....but a have seen old storm cellars made out of concrete hold water, it might seep in .

DrCase, Mar 18, 2008
  5. drewh01

drewh01

There is actually neoprene rubber paint that is told to work very well. After a few coats it gets very thick and bends with the materials.

drewh01, Mar 18, 2008
  6. drewh01

are you going to raise the pond 1 1/2 to 2 ft to make it 6 ft deep

DrCase, Mar 18, 2008
  7. drewh01

my grandaughter is 16m old i built a copper fence around the pond that meets the patio . i need to put in some rails around my bridge and deck very soon...my upper pond stands about 2 ft 4" to the top of the rocks ,i feel its safe when im watching her

DrCase, Mar 18, 2008
  8. drewh01

DrDave Innovator Moderator

Since you have a lot of space next to the pond, why don't you build another pond that cascades into this one and pumps the water back up?

DrDave, Mar 19, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question