Pond rebuild in pictures...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I moved into a house last year that had a neglected garden pond. Here's how it looked when we moved in:
1376292_23f16fe655b685f1b8a45aaa73833622_1451935.jpg
I created another thread outlining my improvements (basically removing a couple thousand pounds of rock and debris) but Photobucket decided to no longer allow free image hosting so it's a useless thread without pictures. Regardless, here's how it looked after removing all the rocks:

2017-06-30 15.34.12.jpg

Making those (albeit limited) changes and buying a few koi really piqued my interest in the hobby so I started dreaming of a bigger pond with a raised viewing. This is what I envisioned:

IMG_5156 filled.jpg

I've never done anything like this in my life but I thought it would be great as a DIY project (with the help of a cousin and a nephew for some of the heavy lifting). Anyway, here are some progress photos.

IMG_5145.JPG

IMG_5147.JPG

IMG_5150.JPG

IMG_5172.JPG

IMG_5183.JPG

IMG_5190.JPG

IMG_5200.JPG

IMG_5211.JPG

IMG_5236.JPG

IMG_5269.JPG

IMG_5275.JPG

IMG_5290.JPG

IMG_5292.JPG

There is still a lot of work to do. The top stones need to be cut to fit and mortared in. The waterfall needs to be rebuilt. The filtration and plumbing are not fully complete. But it's coming along!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
great rebuild and lots of effort. I guess when you do something, you do it right...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Amazing! What a lovely set up, and it's going to look stunning when complete, can't wait for the next instalments. Keep the photos coming. How deep is it....looks well over 6ft, and the volume? How many koi will you be able to house in it? Sorry for all the questions, it's just so interesting!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Amazing! What a lovely set up, and it's going to look stunning when complete, can't wait for the next instalments. Keep the photos coming. How deep is it....looks well over 6ft, and the volume? How many koi will you be able to house in it? Sorry for all the questions, it's just so interesting!

Thank you! It is 5.5' deep at the edges and 6.5' deep at the bottom drains. It's approximately 5000 gallons.

I have 9 fish right now--some of which are over 20 inches--so I'll probably increase to 15 fish over time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
@audioenvy You might have mentioned it already, but what kind of filtration will you have?

I will have a sieve that feeds into a rotating drum filter and then into a large shower full of biomedia. It's by far the most expensive aspect of the pond but I'm hoping the water quality will be top notch.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I will have a sieve that feeds into a rotating drum filter and then into a large shower full of biomedia. It's by far the most expensive aspect of the pond but I'm hoping the water quality will be top notch.
Oh, wow! I'm jealous! Next time I'm in Orem, gonna have to look you up, LOL!

Ask a Question