TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
hello everybody! as you may know I am redoing my pond, orrigonally this was set to take place starting next year, but I was rumaging around in my pond stuff in the shed, and I came across a nice ( 20 mil ) pond liner! It was a little smaller than I would have liked, but with some redesinging, I found a way to use it :) this just saved me 200 dollars, and so I will be starting in just 2 weeks! below is a picture of the current design, and I will be updating this eveyr few days when some amount of progress is made, the liner has to be in and full in exactly one month 2 days ( the start of school for me ) so the fish can overwinter in itand then when I have time during the school year I will be doing rockwork, and other things.

here is the desing right now! ( note: the stream part will be very shallow, so fish cant get through to the small pond, as the big one will be for my koi, and large goldfish, and the small one will be strictly for smaller goldfish and offspring for the larger fish, I am planning to out a bridge across the stream section, and have a seating area on the other side )

IMG_0695.jpg
hopefully this will be big enough for my koi!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
That looks like it's gonna be tons of fun! I want to attach another to the one I made this year. Isn't it crazy that as soon as you finish one, you want to get started on the next one right away?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
20 mil is about half as thick as recommended...this is the single most important part of your pond and you don't want to have to do it all over, so...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a/b
Country
United States
One thing to keep in mind in your layout, most trees have roots that spread out as far as their limbs go. You may want to think about that in thinking of where you are going in relation to that tree.

You are going to enjoy this!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
20 mil is about half as thick as recommended...this is the single most important part of your pond and you don't want to have to do it all over, so...
He's on a bit of a budget. Hard to pay for a $200-$300 pond liner when your income comes from birthdays and Christmases.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
That looks like it's gonna be tons of fun! I want to attach another to the one I made this year. Isn't it crazy that as soon as you finish one, you want to get started on the next one right away?
it is indeed! just as soon as I balenced this im gonna tear it out !

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
One thing to keep in mind in your layout, most trees have roots that spread out as far as their limbs go. You may want to think about that in thinking of where you are going in relation to that tree.

You are going to enjoy this!!
indeed I will!

I think with what I am designing I am pretty good, as I ran into zero tree roots with the first dig, so I made to give the tree a little surrounding area, and I dont think I should damage it :)

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
much agreed, I was going to go with 45 mil EPDM, but knowing myself ( tearing my pond out and redoing it eveyr year) if this only lasts a few years before leakig it shouldnt be a big deal for me, I have 15 mill terrible stuff in right now, and it has dealt with moving locations 2 different times, and is only showing damage hwere constantly exposed to the sun right now, so I think I will stick with this stuff, and mabye in the spring, even beofre I have many rocks in get a new liner, and just layer it on top of this.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
hello everybody! as you may know I am redoing my pond, orrigonally this was set to take place starting next year, but I was rumaging around in my pond stuff in the shed, and I came across a nice ( 20 mil ) pond liner! It was a little smaller than I would have liked, but with some redesinging, I found a way to use it :) this just saved me 200 dollars, and so I will be starting in just 2 weeks! below is a picture of the current design, and I will be updating this eveyr few days when some amount of progress is made, the liner has to be in and full in exactly one month 2 days ( the start of school for me ) so the fish can overwinter in itand then when I have time during the school year I will be doing rockwork, and other things.

here is the desing right now! ( note: the stream part will be very shallow, so fish cant get through to the small pond, as the big one will be for my koi, and large goldfish, and the small one will be strictly for smaller goldfish and offspring for the larger fish, I am planning to out a bridge across the stream section, and have a seating area on the other side )

View attachment 131928hopefully this will be big enough for my koi!
also, where do yalls think I should add a bog?

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
He's on a bit of a budget. Hard to pay for a $200-$300 pond liner when your income comes from birthdays and Christmases.
yeah, I have some income from cleaning the house once a week, but I still didnt want to have to wait, as I want the koi to be the happiest they possibly can be :)

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
How deep is your current pond? Maybe turn that into a bog.
the current one is around 12 inches in the shallow part, and 2 feet in the deep part ( the deep part is really small currently )

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Why do you want to keep your fish from using the entire pond? There's no reason to keep goldfish and koi from intermingling, unless you're concerned they will cross breed. I'd give those koi as much room to move as possible.

I don't think you mentioned the dimensions of the pond you are planning. How big is the current pond and how big will the finished pond be? Are you considering the narrow stream because of the size liner you have to work with? I'd scrap the stream and dig the whole thing as a pond if it were me - the bigger the better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
the current one is around 12 inches in the shallow part, and 2 feet in the deep part ( the deep part is really small currently )
Perhaps you can build the new pond next to the old one and convert the old one into a bog filter.

Pull the water from the new pond into slotted pvc manifold pipes buried under pea gravel in the old pond (now a bog). The water flows up through the gravel and returns to the pond by way of a low point in the common wall between the pond and the bog. Grow plants in the gravel which will help remove excess nutrients. Your pond water will be clean and clear.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Why do you want to keep your fish from using the entire pond? There's no reason to keep goldfish and koi from intermingling, unless you're concerned they will cross breed. I'd give those koi as much room to move as possible.

I don't think you mentioned the dimensions of the pond you are planning. How big is the current pond and how big will the finished pond be? Are you considering the narrow stream because of the size liner you have to work with? I'd scrap the stream and dig the whole thing as a pond if it were me - the bigger the better.
I am doing the stream just because the pond liner can only span the big area, and when I seam the liners, if I mess up I really only want the pond to be able to drain a couple of inches, I was thinking of now making the stream slightly wider, and going down to a foot with it, that way they could intermingle, and it there was a leak that went uncaught, they would still have a foot of water to reside in, I dont have anything against them intermingling, it was just an exuse of why I wasent making it deep :)

and for the dimensions, the current pond is 600 gallons ( YIKES! koi in 600 gallons! ) yes yes, but the new pond should be around 1k- 1200 gallons, I will go out and do measurments more exactly in a little bit :)

Ask a Question