Pond Redo- need help with some DIY filter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b or 7a
Country
United States
I looked up bog building but the pictures are missing or won't let me view. I want to consider a bog but I am not sure how to truly proceed. A little apprehension since I am kind of shooting in the dark. Don't know many that have home made backyard garden ponds in my area. Greenhouse garden center in Carson City seems to have a decent selection of bog type plants. Around May usually have water lettuce/hyacinth.

That zoro site isn't working for me either.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I did a stock tank bog based on the pond diggers design but for my pond not patio

basic principles are the same. I'll link to the start of his series on it.

@sissy knows eric and has a bog she can help to.

I modded my tank to have a 5" "gap" so it doesn't clog up easily as it is only a 100 gallon water trough.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I looked up bog building but the pictures are missing or won't let me view. I want to consider a bog but I am not sure how to truly proceed. A little apprehension since I am kind of shooting in the dark. Don't know many that have home made backyard garden ponds in my area. Greenhouse garden center in Carson City seems to have a decent selection of bog type plants. Around May usually have water lettuce/hyacinth.

That zoro site isn't working for me either.
USMCP; sorry re link, went and looked it up and searched bulkheads on zoro, no problem. Here's the link;

https://www.zoro.com/search?q=bulkhead

Here's a link to the site I used for my bog; it's nice and extensive.

http://www.bogfiltration.com/bogfiltration.html

Be sure to click on the picture link inside the web page.

http://www.bogfiltration.com/making_your_own_upflow_bog_filte.html

If you still can't see the info and pics, let me know as I have my own copy I can c/p for you.

Hope this helps.

Michael

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I looked up bog building but the pictures are missing or won't let me view
photobucket wants money to show the photos and there have been a few updates over the years of the forum. I keep wanting to fix the photos, but have not had the time.

Basically
a container, liner, have pipes running along the bottom (I used 2 inch pvc pipes) cut / drilled to allow water to flow through. Put pea gravel or larger rock over the pipes, pump water up through the gravel, plant the gravel. Have it flow back into the pond.

Mine is big, 2.5 feet deep 4.5 feet wide, with pea gravel, 38000 lbs, 2 - 2inch pvc pipes running the length, 27 feet, cut with slashes, heavily planted = a low maintenance pond. I have had many bogs, this is my best build. I do nothing to the pond except groom the lilies, during the summer.

Water always crystal clear.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b or 7a
Country
United States
@addy1 do I overlap pond liners to get the bog to flow back in? Is that the preferred method? I don't think I'll have enough space for a super large bog. Got my Danner pump and I have a couple smaller ones I could use to feed the bog. so is 2.5 feet the recommended depth? Also how long is yours, you mention it's 4.5' wide.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@USMC Ponder - I can answer that one for you. If you don't have enough to do a one piece liner for bog and pond, you can use two pieces and you always want to overlap liners - so the bottom liner goes under and the top liner goes over.

As for recommended depth - that depends on who's doing the recommending!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@addy1 do I overlap pond liners to get the bog to flow back in? Is that the preferred method? I don't think I'll have enough space for a super large bog. Got my Danner pump and I have a couple smaller ones I could use to feed the bog. so is 2.5 feet the recommended depth? Also how long is yours, you mention it's 4.5' wide.
Well all I read during my build was 12-18 inches was recommended depth of gravel, I just dug a lot and made mine deep. It works for me.
Mine in 27 feet long, the far end goes shallow to around a foot deep.

I have just one main pump that takes water form the big pond and feeds the bog.

My pond and bog are all one piece of liner. If you need to have two liners, have your bog higher than the pond so the liner drapes down and over the ponds liner, above water level, with a decent drop. I built the stream that way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b or 7a
Country
United States
Update. It's been warm all weekend, in the 70's so I got the new pond liner back in, made it 40" deep and reduced the width of some shelves. Got the skippy filter built but I seem to have a leak from the corregated tubing (1 1/4") to the threaded barb. Even used a hose clamp but it just squirts everywhere. So my question is, what do I do to mitigate this. The skippy website says to use a nipple reducer so would that work better?

Any suggestions would be great. Visuals even better LOL.

Also what kind of silicone should I use to seal around the drain I installed? This would be the spot where the 4" flange is. I used a 2" shower drain since I am not using the flange (doing the mini skippy due to pond only being around 1400 gallons and not the 2000+ I thought it was). It leaks at the bottom of the drain

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sorry I'm late to this party but just wanted to
upload_2018-4-3_10-9-58.gif

@USMC and thank you for your service to our country.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Also what kind of silicone should I use to seal around the drain I installed?
I used pl roofing goop to seal around one of my pipes in the bog.
put in on a dry liner let it dry, it has held for 8 years now.

There is also silicone just for fish tanks, made to be submerged.
home depot sells some in a small tube.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b or 7a
Country
United States
I used pl roofing goop to seal around one of my pipes in the bog.
put in on a dry liner let it dry, it has held for 8 years now.

There is also silicone just for fish tanks, made to be submerged.
home depot sells some in a small tube.
so pl roofing glue will work, good to know. I hear flex seal is good too. Would that not be a recommended way to go?

My other dilemma and the larger one for me is trying to remedy the 1 1/4" corrugated tube to the 1 1/4" barb fitting that leaks like a sieve. In fact it sprays. Even really tightened down the hose clamp.

The barb may not be the best, seemed awfully loose but the right size or I need a different way to connect the tubing to the pvc pipe.

So what I have going is the 1 1/2" threaded NPT reduced to 1 1/4" barbed. The pic looks like the one I have. I think.

I suppose I could purchase another. The other one I have coming from the pump is much more snug on the tubing but visually the same size.

Lastly @j.w. Thank you!

Attachments

• barb.jpg
    barb.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 172

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is what I used when we put a pipe through our bog liner, at the bottom. It is hard when it hardens. There may be something better. It will not stick to a wet liner, all needs to be dry.

When I have issues with barbed fittings, I use the goop method, smear with the water proof silcone, add a good clamp let it cure, done.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b or 7a
Country
United States
It is what I used when we put a pipe through our bog liner, at the bottom. It is hard when it hardens. There may be something better. It will not stick to a wet liner, all needs to be dry.

When I have issues with barbed fittings, I use the goop method, smear with the water proof silcone, add a good clamp let it cure, done.
Thanks for the tip(s)

Ask a Question