Pond redoing. No more run off but green algae (never had that before)

Reaction score
Hi there.

Hope you are all doing great.
As some of you know my pond has finally been completely redone.
The work is not completely finished as a draining system had to be installed in the stream etc.

Not now the run offs are technically not an issue anymore (although we haven't had any bad storm to really see how everything goes).

But 2 weeks after the redoing the green algae bloom is terrible. So I can barely see my fish again.

So what's the deal...

It s now been 3 weeks and no change.

They put all the fish back right away, is it part of the problem? Last year i waited fir the water cycle and the biological filter to settle first and then i introduced the fish. The pond is in the shade and I ve never had a green algae problem.

Or is it the clay from the run off that was blocking the developement of the green algae (and would also kill my plants one the bottom).

I just can't figure it out the water is completely clear when I take a sample out for testing...

Also they installed a waterfall instead of the previous system that was like a central fountain... could it be that the water is more stil and that s what makes it easy for the algae?

I'll post photos as soon as my 9 months old gives me a tiny break... thx a ton :)

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Rivermist said:
Hi there.

Hope you are all doing great.
As some of you know my pond has finally been completely redone.
1) The work is not completely finished as a draining system had to be installed in the stream etc.

Not now the run offs are technically not an issue anymore (although we haven't had any bad storm to really see how everything goes).

But 2 weeks after the redoing the green algae bloom is terrible. So I can barely see my fish again.

So what's the deal...

2) They put all the fish back right away, is it part of the problem? Last year i waited fir the water cycle and the biological filter to settle first and then i introduced the fish. The pond is in the shade and I ve never had a green algae problem.

Or is it the clay from the run off that was blocking the developement of the green algae (and would also kill my plants one the bottom).

I just can't figure it out the water is completely clear when I take a sample out for testing...

3) Also they installed a waterfall instead of the previous system that was like a central fountain... could it be that the water is more stil and that s what makes it easy for the algae?

I'll post photos as soon as my 9 months old gives me a tiny break... thx a ton :)

1) The work is not completely finished as a draining system had to be installed in the stream etc.

Smart idea!! :banana:

2) They put all the fish back right away, is it part of the problem? Last year i waited fir the water cycle and the biological filter to settle first and then i introduced the fish.

Yeah, that did not help and I bet a major contributor.

3) Also they installed a waterfall instead of the previous system that was like a central fountain... could it be that the water is more stil and that s what makes it easy for the algae?

Could be, but I doubt it.

Just be patient with it. Might be another week or might be another month. If you want it resolved sooner, then check out a UV device and a couple threads: 1) what size UV?; 2) UV or not UV.; 3) Chemical vs UV.

A couple good algae threads here in this subforum that might or might not give some comfort such as Algae Blooms, New Pond Syndrome?, and I would like to see my fish now.

Beer and wine helps ya feel better about the pond looking better too or gets your mind off of it, at least I think so. :bdaybiggrin: :0000000057:

Reaction score
Rivermist said:

So what's the deal...
Deal is that's normal.
Rivermist said:
Still normal.
Rivermist said:
They put all the fish back right away, is it part of the problem?
Nope. Fish will increase nutrients which algae uses to grow...but that doesn't really have anything to do with clear vs green. Fish would make a green pond 3.7% greener (some small made up number). Adding or removing fish wouldn't change whether the pond is clear or green. Naturally clear water is normally toxic to algae, kills it on contact. Nothing to do with light or nutrients.
Rivermist said:
Last year i waited fir the water cycle and the biological filter to settle first and then i introduced the fish. The pond is in the shade and I ve never had a green algae problem.
A bio filter wouldn't have anything to do with clear vs green...probably. There's one theory that it may, but for sure it isn't a certainty. Shade vs full sun effects growth rate but not clear vs green. Just like nutrients the amount of light effects super green vs super duper green.

For sure your past experiences wouldn't have anything to do with algae today. Just like because your pond is green today doesn't mean it will be tomorrow.
Rivermist said:
Possibly. Never a certainty but suspended clay does effect algae of all kinds.
Rivermist said:
You mean because it's in a small container it looks clear? When you see green in the pond you're seeing thru a very thick layer of water and you see the accumulated reflected green spectrum so it looks green. And all those little particles block your sight. The depth to which you can see is the test for the amount of algae in the water.
Rivermist said:
Also they installed a waterfall instead of the previous system that was like a central fountain... could it be that the water is more stil and that s what makes it easy for the algae?
Green water algae prefers moving water, faster the better.

A waterfall can, over time, clear a pond when string algae starts to grow on it. My own personal theory with some testing. I believe it's valid.

UV clears a green pond. Only certain method other than chemicals.

Ask a Question