Pond renovation, filter, pump, liner - Need Ideas!!!

NRP

Reaction score
Hello, I was hired by a relative to renovate their pond and landscaping. The landscaping is the easy part; however, this is my first pond project. The pond is already dug, was first installed about 12 years ago (was neglected and became overgrown). I have removed everything, plants, liner, etc. Everything looks good, but now I need to start ordering equipment, liner, etc. The pond is 10'x13' and 2' deep. I will need a liner about 15'x20' according to http://watergarden.com/pages/build_wg.html. Has anyone ordered from them before? Anyway's, another relative gave me an Aqua Ultraviolet Ultima II 4000 Filter and Sunami pump. Will this filter and pump work for this pond or is it overkill? Should I buy another filter or pump? I would need help with the plumbing, the pump inlet and outlet are 2" or 3" and the filter inlet and outlet are 1.5". Do I use flexible tubing? What size? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Nolan

Reaction score
I would price out liners.

www.pondliner.com
www.pondliners.com
www.ebay.com

I purchased my last liner off of eBay, as I came up with the best price.

You will want overlap with your liner, unless you are securing the ends to something above ground. You do not want runoff going into your pond, and you'll want approximately 2 feet extra to anchor down. The site you used is only giving a 6" overlap. In that case, your 15x20 liner may be too small. I did not need any overlap, as the top of my pond is 2 1/2' above ground, unless we hae a major flood, I don't get any runoff.

With an extra 2 feet, you are looking a 20 x 20 liner.

I went when PVC for everything that was burried or coming from the pond. Flexible for all that is above ground.

I don't know anything about that mentioned pump or filter, so can't help you there.

As far as plumbing size, you can never have too much flow. You sure don't want to restrict your flow with pipes that are too small.

Reaction score
We just completed a pond renovation. We built the pond in 1985 using roofing membrane for the liner material. Finally the liner was begining to become brittle and overgrown plants had caused water to wick out of the pond. I was tired of draining the pond and scooping out all the muck that erroded into it each year. The trees that were small when it was first built, now caused a mess in the water year around. We first removed the trees, then cut and leveled the area surrounding the pond that was allowing all of the mud to errode. We deepened one section of the pond and I moved the waterfall so we could see it from our deck. It took over a year to complete the pond..(about 8 months to just get the energy to tackle it) but I am so happy with the results. I added a Savio skimmer filter and a waterfall filter. I repotted my plants and added a few new ones and my water is crystal clear after over a month. I am not familiar with the UV filter that you have, but I tend to believe that if you balance the water chemistry and have plenty of competing plants, you probably don't need UV..just my opinon though.:)

If I were to advise anyone, I would say the new filter systems really make a difference, so they might be worth considering. I don't know if your UV filter is also a Bio filter but I think you need more than just UV. They aren't cheap, but they keep the pond clear. Although an issue with the Savio is the reason I found this forum :banana:

I bought plenty of liner material so I could be sure to overlap the ends of the pond to prevent runoff from entering the pond. I also used it for my waterfall. I agree that you are better with overlap than not enough material. I would also go with 20X20 I used some of the old liner, old rugs and newspapers as padding under the new liner since my soil is VERY rocky. Alternately, you can purchase material for this purpose.

I used flexable tubing but ran it through PVC piping under ground. I used a calculation to determine the size of pump I would need for the size (width) of filter fall that I purchased and the distance and height of my waterfall. This also helped me calculate the size tubing to use. I also added a low water cut off to protect my pump. If you would like, I can provide the calculation information so that you can determine if the pump that you have would work. I also had a slight issue with the size of bulkhead fitting on the filter fall and the hose from the Savio skimmer. I found fittings at the local hardware store and ordered a new bulkhead fitting on line...you just have to think out your plumbing.

When I am more familiar with what I am doing on here, I will post pictures.
Hope this helps,
Boni

NRP

Reaction score
Thanks for the good info:icon_smile:. I will not be using the filter and pump I mentioned in my previous post. It is actually not a UV filter, but a Bio Filter that looks like a sand filter. Instead I may build the skippy biofilter, but I would need suggestions for a pump. The pond is about 1500-2000 gallons, I think (the dimensions are 10x13, 2 deep). I may be a bit high, but I will be using the skippy 100 gallon (I can't find a 70 gallon rubbermaid, and would not prefer the 50 gallon drums). Therefore, there will be a rock waterfall. If you could recommend a pump for this setup that would be great. The skippy site (http://www.skippysstuff.com/index.html) sells pondmaster pumps, but I have looked at many brands these past couple nights (Internet). I am also going to purchase the 20x20 liner, and may even use some of the old liner if I need for the fall, but I should be able to use the one piece. Also, what pond plants would you recommend? I live in southeastern, pa. I would also be putting plants in the top of the skippy, if anyone has some to suggest? Once again, thanks for the info!

Reaction score
I would go with a pump that pumps around 2000 gph, to cycle your pond water once every hour. I use a 2900 gph for my bottom drain / waterfalls and a 2600 gph for my skimmer.

Here are the pumps that I use. They use little electricity, I got them on sale for around $100 less though. May want to shop around.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5163+5164+12824&pcatid=12824

As far as plants. I have hardy water lillies, most of which I get free from a lake. Pick up their seeds / roots during the spring and plant them in my pots. I also have water lettuce, grows fast and keeps some nice shade, and cattails. There are a lot of different plants, you'll just want to find something that is towards your likings.

Reaction score
I use that exact 2900 pump and actually purchased it from Drs. also. NRP, you say you are in Southeastern Pa...how close to the Delaware line? I have several lillies (won't be able to tell you if they are native whites, reds or yellow) at my Mother's house. I am filling in her pond as I can't maintain it any longer It is developing the same issues that my pond had. My sister would be happy to find homes for the lillies as they are contained in large storage bins right now. I may also have other plants that I can share from my pond.

Alternately, I would recommend Stephens Aquatic Gardens in Chadds Ford. They are only open Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday but they have beautiful greenhouses full of every aquatic plant that you can think of as well as fish and pond supplies. They are not good about answering the phones, so you would probably just have to stop by..they are only about 3/4 of a mile from Longwood Gardens.

NRP

Reaction score
Cool. The pond is in Avondale, Pa, so it is very close to the Delaware line. I was in Milton, DE, this past weekend for a birthday party and am very familiar with that area, Kirkwood Hwy, etc. I will check out the place in chadds ford, and may go to Pickering valley feed to see their plants. Thanks.

Reaction score
How high would you be pumping the water, over the pond level?

That pump should work.

NRP

Reaction score
The pond is 2' deep, and then the skippy will be less than a foot higher than water level. So 3'. I am trying to keep with my budget, the 2900 pump looks great, but its costly, even on ebay! Should I buy?

Reaction score
For the price savings, it is worth a shot. Like I said previously, I got the 2900 for $100 less, if it were today, I'd go with the one you are looking at. I like to save a $$ or two also.

Reaction score
NRP, don't use your budgeted money for plants, let me share with you. I can drop them off in Avondale to you. How far is your project from Rt. 7? I would really feel better about saving these lillies than having them die in buckets. I also have yellow iris and I have a friend who may be pulling out some forget me not. We all share plants. Before you go all the way to Lionville, check out Gateway Garden Center in Hockessin. It is right around the corner from Richards market. They have ponds and plants and great information too.
I think you will be disappointed with Pickering Valley after you visit Stephen's. Although Stephen's is pretty expensive.

I can tell you that pump does a good job..I am pulling though the skimmer, running horizontally about 17 feet, and then up about 4 feet to the skimmer filter. I have a nicely flowing waterfall, It isn't a white water rushing waterfall, but it has a great flow. The only problem is the darn fish keep dying in my Savio skimmer. I took two more out today :confused2:

NRP

Reaction score
The house is 2-3 miles from Rt. 7, take Rt. 41 to just outside Avondale. The exact address is: 1952 Garden Station Road, Avondale, PA 19311. I went to pickering valley yesterday, they have very expensive pond supplies, and they look like they haven't been touched in years (pumps, filters, etc.). Yea, I would be interested in some plants. Just a little info about me, I am a Senior at Eastern University (King of Prussia Area). This is my brother-in-law's, Mother's Pond in Avondale. I will be there today and most likely tomorrow. I just ordered the liner and pump/filter supplies last night, so I will mostly be working on the surrounding landscape until I receive those items. Thanks, Nolan p.s.

Ask a Question