Pond renovation project -- I'm almost there :-)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
In case you haven't been following, back in the spring we took down the pond in order to make some cinder block walls as well as install a cinder block collar around whatever part didn't have a wall. I won't go into details, but we have clay "soil" and LOTS of ground water issues that have caused problems since the initial build in 2012. So the intent was to do as much as possible -- short of filling it in and starting over -- to address these problems.

It's been a S...L...O...W process 'cause it's been mainly just me doing the work. Hubby and son help out some, and I couldn't have done what I have without their help, but it's still been mostly a one-woman job.

The poor goldfish have been living in a 300 gal. Rubbermaid stock tank and have done remarkably well! I moved the 100 gal. Skippy filter to use for them. I was able to transport all of the biomedia and keep it moist during the transition, and that was a success as the water in the 300 gal. tank has stayed perfect with the help of water changes to eliminate nitrates! And that's even with my over-feeding them.....there was no algae for them to graze on, and I just didn't feel right about limiting their food. They totally ate up my entire duckweed & azolla crops, little piggies! [Which reminds me, I need to order more] But they are thriving, appear healthy, and some have obviously grown.

Any and all plants I had went into a kiddie pool [or tubs, in the case of the water lilies], and they have survived. I put some oxygenators, parrots feather, and water hyacinth in with the fish and I think the fish have munched on them a little.

And in the midst of all this, there were fry.....and I had to rescue & raise those little guys! Oh, and I rescued as many tadpoles that were in the pond as I could, as well. But I didn't need to...... Having the plants in the kiddie pool and the tubs has given the froggies more than enough places to make more tadpoles, LOL!

Oh, and I also built a mini-bog in the turtle habitat :) It's planted with most of the plants that will go in the main bog -- next project -- but it isn't connected to the pond yet. I've been filling it via a water hose stuck in the intake tube. Once the pond is up & running, the turtle-bog will feed back into the pond via a little stream running through the habitat.
=======================================================

Fast forward.......

I am FINALLY where I can start putting in the underlayment! Yea! I can't believe it! Going to start on that today. Every where I have cinder blocks, I was concerned about the sharp edges, so I bought an angle grinder [great tool, BTW] and "bull nosed" any sharp or protruding places. But even with that, I'm going to install extra padding [carpet] under the regular underlayment where there is cinder block, and I want to glue that in place [to prevent movement] with some PL roofing goop. That's probably going to take most of the day, and for some reason my family thinks I need to go grocery shopping today.......

The liner is going to be a problem, due to its weight, so it might not go in until I can recruit a 4th [or even 5th] person to help with that -- shooting for Sat. or Sunday. I can't wait!!

Sorry, no pictures to share at this time, but will post some soon.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
can't wait to see it finished. I would go crazy if I didn't have a pond all Spring and Summer!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
What a project and I praise you for the work you have put into it. It sounds so cool and can't wait to see pix of it all. The fish are gonna love their newly remodeled home. Now the turtles have been watching you do all this from their nice place you made for them right? Hope they are behaving and are enjoying the entertainment you are providing daily :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
You have been working hard and can't wait to see those pics!

Aaron S

K5ATG
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Thanks for sharing all of this with us. Can't wait to see pics but I'm sure that it will turn out beautiful!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for sharing all of this with us. Can't wait to see pics but I'm sure that it will turn out beautiful!
Well, thank you! My son has arranged for 2 of his friends to come over tomorrow afternoon to help get the liner in. But at the moment, we're looking at potential thunderstorms.... Grrr! Any other time you'd welcome rain, but......

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh, and a while back I posted about having some trees taken out. Well, that is happening next Wednesday, which means I've got a lot of prep work to do before then. Got to round up all the boxies and put them in temp. quarters. Got to pull all of the plants from the turtle-bog and temp. house them -- one of the trees is about 3' from the bog, so it's potentially in danger -- plants out, and a ply wood cover over it for sure! Have some other plants in the habitat to remove so they don't get damaged, then have to take out some of the temp. fencing...... And may have to rig up a tarp to cover part of the pond to keep debris out.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I put my own liner in not once ,not twice but 3 times and it is no fun .This last liner was 20 x 25 but when it got here and I was finished digging and laid the liner out on the lawn it turned out to be bigger than I ordered .I measured it and was shocked .surprise surprise :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
very true every one asks me for help and I help but as soon as I need it every one vanishes to not be seen until I do it my self .Like when I rebuilt my pond and needed to get the bridge off .I had to come up with my bridge slide idea .Everything can be done if you figure it out first .Nothing is ever as easy as it seems ,

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I put my own liner in not once ,not twice but 3 times and it is no fun .This last liner was 20 x 25 but when it got here and I was finished digging and laid the liner out on the lawn it turned out to be bigger than I ordered .I measured it and was shocked .surprise surprise :)
This one currently measures around 25 x 27, but I think it was much larger originally. I don't see how you did it, Sissy, Super Woman! With Hubby, 19 y/o son, and me, we are doing our best to just move it!

Well, just got the last of the carpet underlayment down, and was about to get Son to help me with the black fabric stuff..... It's pouring down rain! :cry: Maybe it won't last long:arghh:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Patience TM! The rain will not last forever and soon maybe the rain will help fill the liner w/ nice fresh rainwater hopefully when you are all ready for it.

Ask a Question