Pond Renovation

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey, guys. I am seeking advice/suggestions/ideas about our pond renovation. We have expanded the size of the original dig-out (no liner, ground holds water from previous above ground pool weight), which can be seen by the muddy water as we made it deeper today to ward of muddiness from rain hitting the bottom-it will clear up overnight.

We are planning on moving a swing into the area, redoing the small waterfall that is currently there (it will have a liner under/around it), and planting lots and lots of plants. We aren’t concerned about having fish; we have a smaller pond in another area for that. This pond will just be for our viewing pleasure and relaxation and is home to a couple of frogs ( and their ten trillion tadpoles) that return every year.

We are looking for advice on design (especially for the waterfall as we want to make it a few feet tall and wide), best play type to prevent run-off, erosion, and any other tidbits of wisdom you may be able to offer us. We have had the original pond area for approx 5 years, so we are versed in general care. Just looking for a few specifics.

I have included pics of the area from a few angles, the swing that will go in, and a pic with the areas labeled. We would also like to add a small, decorative bridge in the new portion, so if anyone has any suggestions or sources for that I would love some info.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I know nothing about natural bottomed ponds, but I'm sure someone here will be able to give you some advice! I sure do love that swing though. I can imagine lots of hours of peaceful pond side swinging!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Waterlilly or lotus! Lillies are easier to keep in check from what I gather. But oh the fragrance of my lilly blooms last year, so sweet! I’d suggest edging the far side with good iris varieties, add in other water friendly plants in your area, and blooms to catch the eye. Some nice round river stones, moss, maybe a interesting bit of wood, the possibility is endless

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The lilies smell great! The lotus do send out runners and can make worse of a mess than lilies. I had a free running lotus in one of he smaller ponds, it made a mess. I finally yanked it out. A miniature one.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Waterlilly or lotus! Lillies are easier to keep in check from what I gather. But oh the fragrance of my lilly blooms last year, so sweet! I’d suggest edging the far side with good iris varieties, add in other water friendly plants in your area, and blooms to catch the eye. Some nice round river stones, moss, maybe a interesting bit of wood, the possibility is endless
Do the water Lillie’s go in the water, or can you plant them around the pond?

Ask a Question