Pond Restart

Reaction score
Country
United States
My pond is approx 500 gallons. In past years my pond has quickly turned green and brown. This year I am determined to get it right. My pond has been neglected for 2 years (no fish) and is currently completely full of leaves and water. Im going to COMPLETELY empty it and start over. Im wanting to order a new filter and pump (all in one unit with fountain). I found one from The Pond Guy. It has a mechanical and biological filter as well as uv. Do i need to add beneficial bacteria when i start it back up? I plan on buying a bunch of plants and eventually adding goldfish. Basically, how do i get things started without getting new pond syndrome?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

When you drain and clean don't scrub the liner, leave that nice layer of algae that exists that will really help with the new pond syndrome.
Or just get a good net and scoop up the leaves leaving the water. No need to add beneficial bacteria.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree, a good cleaning of debris and leave the algae. I'm not a big proponent of UV. But some members swear by it so what the heck.
I am very cautious about adding fish. Do it over a period of weeks. And also suggest getting a good water test kit. Welcome to the forum!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree, a good cleaning of debris and leave the algae. I'm not a big proponent of UV. But some members swear by it so what the heck.
I am very cautious about adding fish. Do it over a period of weeks. And also suggest getting a good water test kit. Welcome to the forum!
Why are you not big on the UV? Sorry im new to all of this and it sounded like it would be good to keep it clear.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and yes get all your ducks in order ,meaning get supplies you may need .Like the API test kit and crushed oyster shells and koi clay .A uv does OK in the spring because of pollen .then TEST TEST TEST ,before fish

Reaction score
Country
United States
A UV sterilizer is used to eliminate free floating algae in order to obtain crystal clear water. But really, you don’t want crystal clear water. Worse, UV is an indiscriminate killer. It also can eliminate beneficial bacteria and microorganisms which disrupts the natural biological cycle. I recommend not to use it and go natural. But, this is just my opinion. You might be able to disconnect the UV sterilizer function on your filter but first check with the manufacturer to be sure. Again, other people love them that is fine too. The UV debate is much like the great salt debate. I hope this helps. No need to apologize for asking questions. We are all happy to help!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@april2327

Ask a Question