Pond Rookie from Grand Island, NY

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
My name is Josh and am very new to the pond and fish scene. My wife and I have lived in Japan for the past 12 years and we moved back home here in Western New York this February. I am a Japanese garden designer and we are opening a Japanese themed garden and culture center here (http://www.grand-island-serene-gardens.com).
I have never delved into the world of owning and taking care of koi fish, but have an appreciation and desire to learn. As we are working on the site plan for the building the engineer suggested a large natural pond, which are standardly 9 feet deep in the middle, so I have begun my research into natural ponds and the possibilities of koi fish surviving in our zone 5/6 hardiness. I look forward to exploring this forum:regular_waving_emot

Joshua M. Smith, Phd

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Hi Josh,

I truly envy you, I have always wanted to study landscaping techniques in Japan, I want to be a landscape designer or a landscape architect after college. I hope you have some good pictures.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Welcome aboard Dr. Josh Smith.!:bowdown: I've always admired the japanese landscaping and design. Love to see some of your pics and it's nice to have you join the group. Koi keeping and japanese landscaping are truly to be enjoyed together.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome Joshua to the forum and the world of ponds! Most koi ponds that people keep are not more than 5 or 6 ft deep and do fine in the winter in Northern climate zones. I would think going 9 ft deep may make it harder to catch a fish if necessary.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcome670.jpg

Wow sounds wonderful, and we will love to see your pictures and hear your planning as you go. And of course attempt to give you wonderful advice!

Reaction score
Thanks for the warm replies. There is already a a wealth of info here but I'll be asking for advice soon enough. Thanks in advance:lol:

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the forum !!
It will be great to see a big budget pond build

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome josh and hope you get the info on the pond for the garden you need .I cannot see why you would have a problem keeping them alive if your pond is going to be at least 9 feet deep and there are quite a few koi gardens there and even a koi club .I have seen some really nice koi in gardens there .Check out the Brooklyn Botanic gardens they have a great Japanese garden and pond there and there is also a magazine article that came out a while ago on the Japanese style gardens in NY

Ask a Question