Pond rookie - how to install filter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all. I'm new to garden ponds, but very eager to get mine up and running. I dug the hole, laid the underlayment, and laid the liner. I haven't received my filter yet, but I have some questions about it.

First off, let me say that I am planning on adding a waterfall next spring. I just do not have the time or money right now.

I would like to know if it's okay for me to fill the pond without having the filter yet. Also, what do I need to do to prepare for the filter to be put in? I have dug a hole outside the pond to fit the filter inside of. What needs to run from that filter into the pond? And do I need an empty pond to set that up?

Sorry for being all over the place, I'm just typing what I'm thinking. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. First off, how big is your hole, haha, pond and what filter are you going to be using? If there is any other information that might be helpful please post also.
Lol, the hole for the filter is about 18x18x18 inches, the pond is 3.5 feet deep, 10 feet long, and 6 feet wide at its widest point (quite a chore to dig that myself.) The filter is the
PondMAX Ultra PF1200UV Pressurized Pond Filter with 13 Watt UV.
I plan on having a few Shubunkin in the pond once it’s fit for fish to live in.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Lol, the hole for the filter is about 18x18x18 inches, the pond is 3.5 feet deep, 10 feet long, and 6 feet wide at its widest point (quite a chore to dig that myself.) The filter is the
PondMAX Ultra PF1200UV Pressurized Pond Filter with 13 Watt UV.
I plan on having a few Shubunkin in the pond once it’s fit for fish to live in.
I think there are several members that use similar filters and can better advise as well as more experience; I am still a rookie mysel fll but they will usually want to know such information.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What size (GPH) an make pump do you have?
Do not even think of adding any gish until all of the plumbing is completed, filter included.
Yeah, I’m in no rush to get any fish in it until it’s all working properly and in healthy living condition. The filter I ordered is the PondMAX 1200 GPH filter with 13-watt UV.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I guess my main question would be: can I fill the pond then add the filter?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I guess my main question would be: can I fill the pond then add the filter?
Yes, no reason not to. But you're going to need a pump to attach to the filter, and you might want to give that some thought before you get too far along. Submerged or external?

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
Have you already excavated the area to run your waterfall tubing, etc? Even if the waterfall will come later, I'd lay the pipe/hoses now and cap it off and cover it all up. Then fill the pond.
I did the same thing and my "waterfall" is just a bare spillway box with a rock on each side.:LOL:
...To be continued. So they say.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Have you already excavated the area to run your waterfall tubing, etc? Even if the waterfall will come later, I'd lay the pipe/hoses now and cap it off and cover it all up. Then fill the pond.
I did the same thing and my "waterfall" is just a bare spillway box with a rock on each side.:LOL:
...To be continued. So they say.
I wouldn't put the filter in a hole unless the hole has a drain of some sort in it, and even then I would think twice about it.
Good points!

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I wouldn't put the filter in a hole unless the hole has a drain of some sort in it, and even then I would think twice about it.
I can't find specific spec's on the filter but possibly is an in pond or out of pond application. I have seen reviews of similar filters by other manufactures complain of water leaks and a "hole" that flows back into the pond or other means to prevent water loss is preferred. Again, depends if is also an in pond capable filter.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Mmathis
Are you a member of the tortoiseforum.com?
You have a turtle avatar
IDK. I was on a forum many years ago, I think it was called "Kingsnake," or something like that. It was dedicated to reptiles of all kinds [maybe amphibs, as well.....?]. I was on the box turtle sub-forum. I'm on a couple of FB groups, but those have mostly turned out to be Show & tell groups. Other than the fellowship, the information and help are spotty, as all kinds of people post -- most are people who have turtles for the wrong reasons and know nothing about how to care for them. Then they get defensive........ OK, so that's my rant! I'll check out the tortoiseforum.com -- Thanks! Do you have turtles/torts?

Ask a Question