Pond rookie - how to install filter

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
IDK. I was on a forum many years ago, I think it was called "Kingsnake," or something like that. It was dedicated to reptiles of all kinds [maybe amphibs, as well.....?]. I was on the box turtle sub-forum. I'm on a couple of FB groups, but those have mostly turned out to be Show & tell groups. Other than the fellowship, the information and help are spotty, as all kinds of people post -- most are people who have turtles for the wrong reasons and know nothing about how to care for them. Then they get defensive........ OK, so that's my rant! I'll check out the tortoiseforum.com -- Thanks! Do you have turtles/torts?
The tortoise forum is fantastic. Yes. I keep Redfooteds. They do well in steamy south Florida.
I'm also ZEROPILOT on the tfo.

Attachments

• 20170705_150107.jpg
    20170705_150107.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 202

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
I can't find specific spec's on the filter but possibly is an in pond or out of pond application. I have seen reviews of similar filters by other manufactures complain of water leaks and a "hole" that flows back into the pond or other means to prevent water loss is preferred. Again, depends if is also an in pond capable filter.
Is it a filter, pump all in one?
Or is it a pressurized filter fed by a pump?
Usually, the pump stays in the pond and the filter remains outside of it.
The folks that dig holes usually do so to help hide the filter. And some make a return to the pond in case the filter leaks.
You've ordered a filter. Did you also order a pump?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The tortoise forum is fantastic. Yes. I keep Redfooteds. They do well in steamy south Florida.
I'm also ZEROPILOT on the tfo.
I just signed up -- they do have a "turtle" sub-forum. Interestingly, we were in Utah about a month ago, and I had occasion to visit a mom & pop pet store. They had a tortoise tank and when I looked in, there were 3 or 4 3-toeds in with the torties [well, they looked like 3-toeds, but without taking them out for an exam......they definitely WERE box turtles, though!]. BUT, the sign said the tank contained "XXXXX Tortoise, and Redfooted Tortoise." I posted a pic on FB, and someone there ID'd the torties [maybe Russians-- I don't recall] but 100% agreed that the others were boxies. We were in a time crunch so I didn't have time to inquire about them, but I sure hope they weren't selling them as tortoises! Even keeping them all together in a tank wasn't good! Oh, well!

OK, we are hijacking this thread! So sorry! I'll send you a PM if I can find that pic.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You would have to fill as that is protecting the liner .The pump companies try to make it sound hard to match a pump to a filter because they want you to spend more money on the filter that goes with the pump .I bought laguna pumps because of low wattage used and great warranty .

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
You would have to fill as that is protecting the liner .The pump companies try to make it sound hard to match a pump to a filter because they want you to spend more money on the filter that goes with the pump .I bought laguna pumps because of low wattage used and great warranty .
Yes. For the record, I bought my everything from Lowes. They carry the 'smartpond" line....And unfortunately, it IS crap.
Laguna, Becket big names are more trusted and will likely outlast the cheaper varieties. Making them less expensive over time.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My first pump was from harbor freight and it was great and still have all 3 that I bought and they still work ,gave them to my neighbor .I learned over time to look at wattage and laguna was my pick and 4 year unlimited warranty was even better .2150 gph from harbor freight was not bad for wattage but 2900 gph laguna only uses 75 watts and the bigger the hose and the cleaner the pump and the cleaner the pond is it uses less wattage .I have 2 laguna pumps in my pond a 2400 gph and a 2900 gph .

Ask a Question