pond running hours

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
Does anyone not run a pond 24/7 during winter ?
Are there options to not running a pond 24/7, such as 12 hours daily...

Just curious....

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Seeing as you're in California (although you don't state which part), are you in the part that's sunny and warm or are you in the part that's snowy and cold?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
My pond is shut down for 6 months of the year, except for a couple of pond breathers.
Obviously we have different climates, so it would help if you could expand on your setup and concerns.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
In Zone 9b it would literally be "a cold day in hell" for you to have any issue with Ice forming on your pond. That being said, since ice formation is the only reason NOT to run your pond's circulation 24/7/365, other than for maintenance purposes, it follows that it should never be shut down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
My only concern here is PG&E in this state and the 3 tier power charges is ridiculous.
Since it seems the beneficial bacteria start dying after 5 hours, (from what I have seen in other posts), could my pond be ran as such?

I do not have KOI, however there are some mosquito fish and a few small algae eating goldfish and lots of plants.

9am to 12pm: on
12pm to 3pm: off
3pm to 6pm: on
6pm to 9pm: off
9pm to 12am: on
12am to 3am: off
3am to 6am: on

My intellisys panel allows me to set multiple timers on one circuit, so I can set the pump to run in any number of combinations.

Just trying to see what my options are.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Would on and off of pump do any damage to it ? a question I don't know.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
is the pond in sun maybe you could get a solar pump to run a little during the day .I was looking at getting a solar panel from harbor freight and a battery for winter to run a small pump . I looked at panels big enough to run my 100 watt pond heater also

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
My only concern here is PG&E in this state and the 3 tier power charges is ridiculous.
Since it seems the beneficial bacteria start dying after 5 hours, (from what I have seen in other posts), could my pond be ran as such?

I do not have KOI, however there are some mosquito fish and a few small algae eating goldfish and lots of plants.

My intellisys panel allows me to set multiple timers on one circuit, so I can set the pump to run in any number of combinations.

Just run it.

Tutankhamen took it all with him and he looks like crap.

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada

"Phantom" power sucks a lot of juice (appliance clocks, TV, plugged-in chargers) etc.

A pump powering a pond of your volume shouldn't create a major drain. What kind of pump is it?

Then again, replacing an existing and functional pump with a "power miser" pump will most likely cost you more outright than it'll "save".

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
How true I had switch's put in my house to power them off .All my outlets are switched except appliances ,house is all electric .I was amazed people do not realize that turned off does not mean off .I went with laguna 2400 gph uses 55 watts and now end of season bargains are out there to be found .The bigger the hose was the less power it uses I found out .

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
How true I had switch's put in my house to power them off .All my outlets are switched except appliances ,house is all electric .I was amazed people do not realize that turned off does not mean off .I went with laguna 2400 gph uses 55 watts and now end of season bargains are out there to be found .The bigger the hose was the less power it uses I found out .
Hence my constant advice to use larger gauge, smooth-wall tubing.

But really, what do you actually "save"?

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
..........and I drink beer and watch football in my garage while I post..

How come I could claim pot as a medical expense, but not beer?

No fair. Who do I sue? It's discriminatory.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use sump pump hose 1 1/2 inch .Never used anything else but the 1 1/4 inch and then I found the bigger size for under 10 dollars .My hoses are in my pond and my other pump is a 2900 gph pump and I think it uses 80 watts .I will have to put the watt tester on them again .Keeping them clean helps .

Ask a Question