Pond(s) Update 9 months in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Just wanted to give a pond update, Had the levels checked yesterday and all is good on both ponds. The old Pond is over 9 months old now and Im loving how clear it has stayed even during the heavy rainfall, My little pressurized filter has had it work cut out for it and I give the UV light credit for being Crystal Clear. The Other newer Pond... not so much, water is clean (No debris) but has a slight green murkyness to it now over a month in, but I suppose It's because the Pond is still cycling, putting a 9w UV in this week when it arrives.

Here is the Clarity Video with My fish Hiding and the Pleco decided to say Hey :regular_waving_emot (First Time I have seen him in Daylight) in the clear pond and the Murky Pond My Largest Fish (9" Goldfish) you can see swimming with a 3" Butterfly Koi. Thanks to all who have helped me so far and I hope this fun hobby will be as easy into the Future as it has been so far :)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi, pleco, bye pleco! Camera shy guy!

Waterfall is nice -- is it a pre-form? And where did you find the water pump feature? That is such a nice addition.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
He is shy TurtleMommy, The Concrete Water fall is actually a Fountain that was in the yard covered by vines when I moved in, I busted out the top front and Drill two 1" holes in the back where my filter is to feed the two Pump outlets, I built it up on a platform and then stacked Granite slabs up and water fall foamed everything together so it would pour over into the pond.
Which "Pump Feature"? Do you mean the old rustic hand pump in the newer pond? If so, That was also here half buried in the front yard, so I thought it would look nice as a fall/pour feature and help aerate the pond.

Thanks glad you all like it, and thanks again for all the help, could not have done it without you :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Nice pond :)

Do you overwinter Pleco? Or do they do ok in the pond over winter with the goldfish?

When I was buying my fish, the staff at Petco wont let me buy Pleco and said they are only for tropical tank only and they will die in winter. Well, I bought 3 small little catfish and one Otocinclus instead (which funny enough those are warm water fish but my pond temp is about 70-75 in summer and my guppies and those do just fine)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Not sure, But I will let you know if he survives in a few months lol. I read their temp span is 65-75 (F) almost Identical to the goldfish recommendation, but My Goldfish have already survived one winter in an 12" pond before this one (20") with the coldest outside being 34 (F) so Im not too worried about it, I know of other Pond Pleco owners in Zone 9 who keep theirs in pond all year round with no deaths.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had a pleco in my pond but he was brought in (along with the goldfish) every fall and stayed in doors until late spring. Now that the pond is bigger/deeper the goldfish are staying out all year. I brought the pleco in and put him in a tank because I don't want to have to fish him out of the pond every year (too hard to catch) I'm in Ohio and it's too cold in the winter for a pleco.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I tried to catch my little catfish (they are about 1 inch long!!) and no luck. so they will have to try to survive the winter by themself, unless I can catch them some how before then. I got my Otocinclus in though, he's not so difficult to catch.

I know it's hard to catch them and it feels like a struggle and want to keep them in the tank all year so not to have to catch them again but that would defeat the purpose of getting them for my pond in the first place so I guess i'll have to try to catch them each year.

But will see how Jason's Placo do this year first..

Reaction score
wouldnt recommend leaving pleco over winter im in cleveland ohio and i tried really hard to catch my pleco last yr b4 winter hit but every time i did i stirred up the water so much i couldnt ever catch him well all the goldfish were alive once spring came but the pleco was stiff and didnt make it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Dave, You don't think he will make it here in Florida? We did not really have a winter last year and the coldest it got was around 34-36F here, the things is, my 20 gallon long and 10 gallon tanks are in a Florida room with no heat or AC so I don't think it will matter if he is in the pond or the florida room tank, It will probably be just as cold or maybe colder being the tanks are a much smaller body of water.

Ask a Question