pond salt help

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I put mine in one of the cloth grocery bags- fill it up and hang over the side. Contact directly with salt can harm the fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I never add salt to my pond. I don't think it really does much good for the fish and it can kill floating plants. To me the best thing you can do for your fish is to have healthy pond water with zero across the board ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates.If a fish looks diseased sometime I will give it a quick salt bath but the salt concentration is much higher than what you would ever put in your pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Sissy said don't just throw salt in the pond. How am I supposed to do
it?
Its always far better to do a short term salt dip as @CometKeith has rightfully pointed out it is better to do a high concentration salt bath than you would acctually salt a pond with .
As Meyer states it depends on what you want to salt for Prophylactic? Nitrite reduction? Therapeutic? that depends on the amount of salt used .
However tremember salt does not leave a system once in it until you remove it by water changes prior to any treatment with formalin in it especially if your Ph rate is around 8.5 where it can quite esily become toxic to your koi .
Save yourself a packet on salt and buy good old cooking salt from your local store , its just as good and half the cost than you would buy from a fish shop at a fraction of the cost , dont fall for buying medicated salt because it isnt its just salt .
Remember its always better to do a short term salt di than salt your pond

Dave

Ask a Question