Pond Salt?

Reaction score
I have a friend with a small pond that swears that you HAVE to put pond salt - about 1 1/2 cups per 100 gallons in your pond at all times.

As a long time freshwater aquarium keeper and 2 season pond owner, I have always heard that it is only recommended to put in the salt if your fish are having trouble with parasites and the like.

Does anyone here use the pond salt all the time?

Reaction score
Even fresh water lakes and rivers have salt in them. Its a good idea to use salt in a pond. Fish have to have salt in there body's like we do, salt also helps control parasites. Make sure you use pure salt not iodized salt, the iodine in heavy concentrations can kill your fish. You want to only have 2.5 pounds of salt per 100 gallons approximately 3ppt or 0.3 percent.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Thanks for that Chris. I've never had a problem with my fish, so I'm a bit leary to mess with the status quo, but I don't want to be unwittingly harming my fish by NOT using the salt either.
I do know not to use the iodized salt. That's the same in my indoor aquariums.

Reaction score
I would suggest to gradually add the salt as the severe change in the water conditions can shock your fish if you add it all in one go.

Reaction score
Just thought I'd point it out as fish can go into shock and even die from too much salt at once etc.

Reaction score
I have never heard of doing this. I'm going to mention this to my husband and see if he's ever heard of this. I know we have fishtanks and we have only ever had to add salt if they are saltwater fish or what they call brine fish. Brine fish need just a little bit of salt in their water. We never have put salt in our freshwater tanks. Very curious now. You learn something new everyday.

Reaction score
I've never put salt in my pond either. I havn't lost a fish yet in over 3 years, in fact I've gained 20 or so more. So I'm not gonna mess with the status quo.

Reaction score
chris said:
Even fresh water lakes and rivers have salt in them. Its a good idea to use salt in a pond. Fish have to have salt in there body's like we do, salt also helps control parasites. Make sure you use pure salt not iodized salt, the iodine in heavy concentrations can kill your fish. You want to only have 2.5 pounds of salt per 100 gallons approximately 3ppt or 0.3 percent.

Hope this helps.

For clarification, 3ppt is three parts per thousand, which is 0.003 per cent, not 0.3 percent.

Checking with the pet store or wherever you are purchasing your fish from will have a variety of information about what is best for your pond.

Reaction score
Some types of pond planting can actually hold the salt and purify the water for you, get your water checked and ask for the best plants.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
.3% is for hospital and only, and for short periods of time. :wink:

.1% is the level reccommended for long term. 1 lb per 100 gal is the rule of thumb for adding rock salt, however, I would be conservative and use less then check your level. Your pond may have salt already in it from rocks, residue from clorinated water. I added 4 lbs to my 650 gal pond and when I tested it the levels was at .12%.:)

Reaction score
It can be used for disease treatment.Many external parasitic infections (trichodina, chilodinella, ichthyobodo, and epistylis) and fungal infections can be eradicated with a short-term salt bath.
1. Using a clean plastic container, dissolve 2 ½ cupfuls (730 g) of POND SALT in 10 U.S. gallons (40 L / 8.3 UK Imp. Gal) of pond water. Do not use tap water.
2. Carefully put the infected fish in the salt bath (2.0%) for 5 to 10 minutes. DO NOT leave fish in the salt bath for longer than 10 minutes! Be sure to cover the bath container with netting or similar material to prevent fish from jumping out of the bath container.
3. After 10 minutes, place the treated fish back into the pond.
4. Salt bath may be repeated in 24 hours, if necessary.

Ask a Question