pond salts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all do many of you add salt to your garden ponds? If so how often and how much do you add?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cheers folks what's the idea with the salt? I went to my local aquarium yesterday and they were putting salt in there koi ponds

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Cheers folks what's the idea with the salt? I went to my local aquarium yesterday and they were putting salt in there koi ponds
I've heard adding salt may help with a parasite problem, never actually did it myself.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Salt stimulates the slime coat and is also used to protect from nitrite poisoning.

At higher levels it can be used as a short bath to strip off slime coat and knock off parasites. It can also be used to treat ich but needs to be done at proper levels.

You can read more here for proper dosing http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/disease/treatment/trtmnt.htm#salt

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The only reason to use it in a "pond" as far as most of us are concerned is if you are dealing with high nitrite levels in your water.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No salt.

IMHO, it's best use is as a treatment for some parasite infestations, but, like with the overuse of anit-bacterial soaps and antibiotics, the parasites are becoming resistent to salt. If you keep it in your pond, when you need it to work as a bath or dip [treatments], it might not be effective.

I've never understood why it's used routinely in ponds. Koi & goldfish are freshwater fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I started using salt in my pond to fight a parasite issue I had about a month ago. I now maintain my salt levels and been recommended by local pond farms and other ponders that I know. My koi are very healthy and plants are doing great. I follow a salt chart that is part of my test kit...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I started using salt in my pond to fight a parasite issue I had about a month ago. I now maintain my salt levels and been recommended by local pond farms and other ponders that I know. My koi are very healthy and plants are doing great. I follow a salt chart that is part of my test kit...

what brand is your test kit mate I will look into getting 1 cheers

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Salt is an essential ingredient when enjoying ones pond.

The trick is the dose, too much on the apex of your thumb/first finger will overpower the lemon wedge, hence taking away from the flavor of the tequila.

Ask a Question