Pond scuds

Reaction score
Hi
I posted a few weeks back as I was cleaning out my pond for the first time since I bought this property. It is a above ground cement about 30" deep by 9ft x 6ft. after I drained it I removed about 12 to 15" of muck and came to a layer of soil, so there is about 12" of soil to the bottom of the pond. I chose to not remove the soil and refilled the water I re potted some lilies that I had and place them in the pond along with several hundred mosquito fish that I had removed before draining. There used to be lots of different kinds of fish before but something happened this summer and everything died. Any ways the water was cloudy for a few days and one night I came home and everything was a mess the water was total mud my plants were a ripped up and I discovered a few toads had jumped in to lays eggs. well after a few days I removed them and their eggs and things calmed down the water cleared and my plant remnants started throwing some new shoots I fertilized them and the next days all my new leaves were ripped up and I could see thousands of scuds on everything. I know that scuds are usually present and perhaps this new pond eco system just has to find it's balance but I think the scuds are going to make it hard for my plants. I went to the pet store and bought some comets as they had helped with scuds in some of my other barrel ponds any recommendation for this or should I just wait.
Thanks Bill

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't know since I don't have dirt on the bottom of my pond. It seems like scuds like living in that but I'm surprised the moscquito fish haven't eaten them. Do you have pictures? Might help figure out what's doing the damage since scuds are mostly scavengers, (at least what I've read).

Reaction score
The only scud I know will rip anything to shreads, but that's because it's a missile!! What is a scud?

Reaction score
I assume I have removed their food supply by cleaning all the muck out of the pond. as I believe they feed on decaying vegetation.

Reaction score
I have scuds in my plastic barrow ponds that do not have dirt, also I have had in the past problems when they become dominant and munch all my lilies

Reaction score
I am sure they will at least the bigger fish will. It is just that they only fish I have left a small mosquito fish and the dozen comets I just bought, as for the scuds there are thousands of them

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Glad you asked I had no clue what a scud was.

found this............
440px-Gammarus_roeselii.jpg
is that what they look like?

Reaction score
Wow just read a fish tank thread about them and it sounds like they are hard if not impossible to get rid of. One person said the ponders use Potassium permanganate. Found in wal-mart, it's in the pet supplies section in a 2oz bottle labeled Clear Water by Jungle labs. Now I just did a google search and have never had them so take this at what it is. Please research before trying it as I just thought I'd help with a web search.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
I'll bet they are making a home at the bottom in all that mud. Seems like big fish would enjoy them, but maybe not the larger ones with strong exoskeletons.

Reaction score
I don't want to get rid of them, It's I suppose that they have no other food right now they are munching my water plants that I have just started. Like I said in my open thread I think the pond will have to develop it's balance or eco system

Ask a Question