Pond season is here

Reaction score
Well I started my filters last weekend. Tomorrow i'll move the lotus up to higher ground from the depths. Just got to buy a net for the pesky heron and some new barley bails. I was thinking on adding a side section for floating plants, but we will see.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I pulled my lilies up yesterday, think the bad freezing is done, but they are talking snow on monday..............lol But the water won't freeze that deep anymore this year

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I was just giving my fish some food ,and noticed two Lillie's leaves had hit the top over night .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
bulbs are growing, grass is getting greener, plants starting to grow (flowers) saying we may get snow on monday, but just a slight chance. Temp is up and down, never know what it will be lol

JustJack

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
My lily pads have poked their heads up and some of the other plants have green shoots on them again. My papyrus is still green, but I pulled it out of the pond for spring cleaning and need to get it back in there. That thing's a bear so I think I'm going to divide it.

Oldhead, what are the barley bails for?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
still frozen solid and a foot of snow on top here.....must be nice for you guys!! prolly 2 months before my guys go back outside!! whats it like to have more than 4 months as your ponding season?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
barley bails work great against algae.

JustJack

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
koiguy, not to rub it in, but we only have about 2 months that my fishies go into hibernation here. I've learned a lot on this site and we're trying to get the ponds fixed the right way so we can enjoy them even more this year.

Are barley bails better than kitty litter for the algae? I have a very small "pond" out front that has no filtration or anything (and no fish)--it's more of a bird bath for the bluebirds. Would one of those two things work in there to keep the algae in check or would the water have to be moving?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Try hydrogen peroxide, I have used it to get rid of algae, without fish you would not have to worry about them. I have used it in a pond with fish. The dose is 1 liter per 1000 gallons. I use a little less. The barley works better with circulation, but they do make barley planters that float around on the top.

I used them in my az pond .

http://www.watergarden.org/Pond-Supplies/Algae-Control/Small-Barley-Straw-Planter

yep koiguy extract works great too!

I have never tried kitty litter for algae.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you have an air pump get some water movement for a while it might help the peroxide, never have tried it in a still body of water.

JustJack

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
I'll let the hose drip into it enough to move the water for awhile--thanks for the tip. It isn't bad, but it's a little unsightly and being right by the front door, I should probably do something about it.

Reaction score
yes ime hoping to get some fish in my pond in the forthcoming weeks as the weather and water temp is picking up now, had signs of spring far last few weeks, only 20 days to the start of british summer time !

Ask a Question