Pond shell is done!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Finally decided on a plan I liked and I believe will hold up for a good long while. Took delivery of 3 1/2 tons of gravel on Thursday, and over four tons of landscape block & caps on Friday morning. Finalized price with a small construction start-up on Friday evening, much to my and dear husband's relief. The crew arrived promptly at 7:00 am Saturday, same early start Sunday, and by Sunday afternoon my pond shell is pretty much complete! Yay!

Here's some pic's. I was very pleased with the crew's work. The only glitch was toward the end of the job, where I think the language barrier got in the way and they glued down the capstone instead of just cutting them to fit. But luckily I noticed before the adhesive set, and they numbered each stone and took it off easily. They will come back today to install more gravel and drainage pipe on the up-slope side. Then husband and I will take over to finish -- digging out the center for the pond, preparing for liner, pulling the dirt back along the side walls, etc etc.

Still some important things to figure out, but it's so much easier to see the possibilities when the bulk of the main part is done!

Attachments

• IMG_3037.JPG
    IMG_3037.JPG
    290.3 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_3226.JPG
    IMG_3226.JPG
    260.6 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_3227.JPG
    IMG_3227.JPG
    419.9 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_3267.JPG
    IMG_3267.JPG
    360.5 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_3268.JPG
    IMG_3268.JPG
    261.9 KB · Views: 257

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I hope they came with references and have done ponds before .Have you visited springdale water gardens up your way they are great

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I like that block you've used. What kind is it and where did you get it? Is it filled with concrete or dirt?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sissy -- They specialize in masonry, but this was their first pond ... which is why we had them do only the shell, not the finishing of it. Hope to visit Springdale for a buying trip in another couple of weeks :)
TurtleMommy, we used Eagle Bay "Diamond Pro straight cut" block. Each block is 18"x12"x8", has the set-back lip, hollow core, and weighs 74 pounds. We had the guys fill the cores with crushed gravel. The theory is that the gravel will interlock as it's compacted, as well as let any possible water drain thru fast. We bought the block from a local place, Valley Building Supply. While we were at it, we also bought a pallet of a matching block that's designed for freestanding walls -- pieces are much lighter. We have a few other projects in mind, and this will save a delivery charge (and serve as incentive to actually do those other projects!)

Ask a Question