Pond silt and cloudy water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, have been struggling with my newly extended pond (about 3 months ago), firstly was cloudy so added oxygenating plants and surface cover plants, now have approx. 25% of pond with ox plants, 40% of cover plants but still not clear, Ph is 8.3. Started using Pond Klear which has helped but still goes cloudy. Am generating a lot of silt in the pump housing and filter box, attached photos of a weeks worth. Have approx. 15 fish which are all gold fish up to 4 inches and am not feeding too much, pond is approx. 8ft x 2ft x 2ft deep. Any ideas how to keep pond clear consistently?

Attachments

• thumbnail_image1.jpg
    thumbnail_image1.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 150
  • thumbnail_image2.jpg
    thumbnail_image2.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 156
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Is it possible your pump system is kicking up silt from the bottom? 2' is not that deep. Also, are you pulling water into your pump FROM the bottom? If you raise it, it should help. You can make a temporary filter basket with cotton batting to help eliminate any floating/kicked up debris. I'm assuming this silt/cloudiness is NOT algae. Most here do not recommend putting any chemicals in as it typically worsens the problem. IF it's algae, the floaters and oxygenators will help in time. If other, use the temp filter kit and see if you can cut the time down to clarity.

And bear the water depth in mind should you expand or dig a new pond; 3-4' is a lot better as you can have your pump up off the bottom 12" or so and not disturb the water column by constantly redistributing debris (not to mention, adding more work for your filtration system).

When I set up my pond for the first time, both with new water (well water) and pea gravel/rocks in my bog, there was a general cloudiness (which is what I think you're describing) and it eventually went away as the lighter particles were caught in the bog/filter and the heavier settled out. But, my pond is 40" minimum and 60" max for depth, which helps. If you look at the one new vid I posted in Garden Photography forum, you'll see the camera can focus clearly at nearly 14' end to end, showing what kind of clarity can be achieved once everything is settled and balanced.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Let's start with this - where is all the silt coming from? If this is from re-construction, you'll eventually get ahead of it. But if you runoff coming into the pond bringing silt you may never clear the pond. That second picture looks slimy - more like algae. I wouldn't recommend the use of any kind of chemical product - they only add to the problem.

If you were to take a clear glass or jar and scoop up some pond water, what would it look like? Would it settle the silt to the bottom and the water at the top be clear? Or would it just stay rather murky?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hello, have been struggling with my newly extended pond (about 3 months ago), firstly was cloudy so added oxygenating plants and surface cover plants, now have approx. 25% of pond with ox plants, 40% of cover plants but still not clear, Ph is 8.3. Started using Pond Klear which has helped but still goes cloudy. Am generating a lot of silt in the pump housing and filter box, attached photos of a weeks worth. Have approx. 15 fish which are all gold fish up to 4 inches and am not feeding too much, pond is approx. 8ft x 2ft x 2ft deep. Any ideas how to keep pond clear consistently?
also, consider a sock prefilter such as I'm using. Doing so gets me about 2700 sq inches of filtering capability, as opposed to the typical pad filter as in your picture. This means you don't have to constantly clean the filter, though you will do more initially until the particles are eliminated. A sock filter is based on aquarium usage, but enlarged for ponding. I can explain further if you're interested. It's basically a drum with a sock inside as a prefilter to my bog. Takes me 5 whole minutes to clean and reinstall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
As mentioned, you can raise your pump off the bottom where it won't suck up the bulk of sediment. This is a good idea, even if it's not the actual cause of your cloudy water. Tie a string or thin rope to it and pull it up about 12" off the bottom. Secure the other end of the rope around a heavy rock or use a stake driven into the ground. Now you have a means to keep the pump off the bottom and a way to pull the pump out for servicing. Never pull the pump up by the electrical cord.

The suggestion of sediment washing into the pond is a possibility. It's best to build up the edges surrounding your pond creating a slight mound which will prevent things from washing into the pond. Not only soil can wash into it, but also bad things like grass cuttings or fertilizer.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As mentioned, you can raise your pump off the bottom where it won't suck up the bulk of sediment. This is a good idea, even if it's not the actual cause of your cloudy water. Tie a string or thin rope to it and pull it up about 12" off the bottom. Secure the other end of the rope around a heavy rock or use a stake driven into the ground. Now you have a means to keep the pump off the bottom and a way to pull the pump out for servicing. Never pull the pump up by the electrical cord.

The suggestion of sediment washing into the pond is a possibility. It's best to build up the edges surrounding your pond creating a slight mound which will prevent things from washing into the pond. Not only soil can wash into it, but also bad things like grass cuttings or fertilizer.
Thanks, have raised the pump off the bottom will wait to see, my concern is still the cloudy water, attached photo taken tonight?

Attachments

• IMG_1541.JPG
    IMG_1541.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 136
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
If the cloudiness is caused by suspended particles, eventually it will clear by settlement and the filter. Keep cleaning the filter pads until you get it under control. Don't clean the filter with chlorinated water, that will kill the beneficial bacteria. You can use pond water in a bucket. The pads don't need to be hospital clean, just get most of the bulk rinsed off.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Thanks, have raised the pump off the bottom will wait to see, my concern is still the cloudy water, attached photo taken tonight?
Let's start with this - where is all the silt coming from? If this is from re-construction, you'll eventually get ahead of it. But if you runoff coming into the pond bringing silt you may never clear the pond. That second picture looks slimy - more like algae. I wouldn't recommend the use of any kind of chemical product - they only add to the problem.

If you were to take a clear glass or jar and scoop up some pond water, what would it look like? Would it settle the silt to the bottom and the water at the top be clear? Or would it just stay rather murky?
If the cloudiness is caused by suspended particles, eventually it will clear by settlement and the filter. Keep cleaning the filter pads until you get it under control. Don't clean the filter with chlorinated water, that will kill the beneficial bacteria. You can use pond water in a bucket. The pads don't need to be hospital clean, just get most of the bulk rinsed off.
Thanks, it seems to be taking a long time, months. It did improve about a week ago but now is as the photo?

Ask a Question