pond size for self sustaining...?

Reaction score
was just wondering... what size would a pond need to be, to be self-sustaining, (provided it only has a few fish, and alot of plants) like the many ponds you see in the countryside that have fish in them... (or you see them in scotland anyway.)

well its scotland, what can i say. it rains 24/7 and the weather is pretty much the same all year round now-adays.(Heeding the "read this before posting section, i posted weather and temperature.)

Reaction score
never really thought about this before, but alot of people i know are starting to request me to make a pond for them. i've only once been asked this, and i wasnt able to give an answer, so i'd just like to know for future reference.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
A configuration of 24" deep is about poifect to provide stable temperatures that many aquatic plants and critters need through the extremities of summer and Winter. In hotter climates or where the freeze line is deep, deeper would be needed

Any deeper is superfluous for most things, though koi keepers have a thing about conformation of fish improving if they swim in deeper waters

Shallower than 24" is more volatile, the wider daily temperature swings start to favour algae blooms

Regards, andy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21940871@N06/
http://swglist.wordpress.com/

Reaction score
"Shallower than 24" is more volatile, the wider daily temperature swings start to favour algae blooms"

I couldn't agree with this more. My pond is only about 18' deep and gets full sun. I have had nothing but algae problems this year. Hopefully I will be able to make it deeper next year.

Reaction score
adavisus said:
A configuration of 24" deep is about poifect to provide stable temperatures that many aquatic plants and critters need through the extremities of summer and Winter. In hotter climates or where the freeze line is deep, deeper would be needed

Any deeper is superfluous for most things, though koi keepers have a thing about conformation of fish improving if they swim in deeper waters

Shallower than 24" is more volatile, the wider daily temperature swings start to favour algae blooms

Regards, andy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21940871@N06/
http://swglist.wordpress.com/

what about length wise, and width? surely the pond would need to be quite large to sustain itself.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Are you talking like no filtration, etc? a liner pond? Bigger will be better, I didn't see where you said temperature i.e. does it freeze there. I built my arizona pond to be 5 feet deep, keeps the hot sun we have from overheating the water. That pond is around 14k gallons.

My maryland pond is around 5 feet deep, this is to keep it warmish when we have winter and cool in the hot summer. Full sun.

To have a nice balance you would want a area that is slightly shallow ie 2-3 feet for lilies to grow well and other potted water plants.

Are you going to have a pump system? You could build them with a nice size bog to be your filter, pump the water through the planted bog. That would make it self sustaining. Mine is that way currently, I don't do much to it, lowish fish load, no koi all water tests are great. Prune the growing bog plants, prune the lilies that is about it, oh and feed the fish lol

maryland pond around 27ft x 15 or so lol need to measure it, bog around 27x5 or so

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Agree stroppy, mine goes from around 2 feet to 5 feet, the two foot area has the lilies, the deep area has floating plants. The fish hang out in the deep area. We had 8 inches of ice this last winter covering the pond.

My small ponds i.e. 2 foot less in depth are fishless. Just plants and now tad poles.

Reaction score
addy1 said:
Are you talking like no filtration, etc? a liner pond? Bigger will be better, I didn't see where you said temperature i.e. does it freeze there. I built my arizona pond to be 5 feet deep, keeps the hot sun we have from overheating the water. That pond is around 14k gallons.

My maryland pond is around 5 feet deep, this is to keep it warmish when we have winter and cool in the hot summer. Full sun.

To have a nice balance you would want a area that is slightly shallow ie 2-3 feet for lilies to grow well and other potted water plants.

Are you going to have a pump system? You could build them with a nice size bog to be your filter, pump the water through the planted bog. That would make it self sustaining. Mine is that way currently, I don't do much to it, lowish fish load, no koi all water tests are great. Prune the growing bog plants, prune the lilies that is about it, oh and feed the fish lol

maryland pond around 27ft x 15 or so lol need to measure it, bog around 27x5 or so

I wasnt planning on doing this for myself, as i personally didnt think it would work, unless you had alot of room to begin with. i'l do some measuring up :D
also, we had about 5 ft of snow last winter, wasnt nice. then the snow froze, and turned to ice.

Reaction score
all it takes is a bathtub and a few goldfish. my gradpa had a old tub used to water the cows it had a auto water adder and some goldfish and they survived for many years. sometimes the water was so green you could not see them but he never fed them at all or did anything to maintain them.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Steve knight said:
all it takes is a bathtub and a few goldfish. my gradpa had a old tub used to water the cows it had a auto water adder and some goldfish and they survived for many years. sometimes the water was so green you could not see them but he never fed them at all or did anything to maintain them.

This is a bit of a special case. As the cows drank the water new minerals and some cow droll enter the tank. This nourished the moss and attracted various life forms.

I expect the fish would be quite hungry in a bath tub.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I've heard of this actually several times. Throw a half dozen goldfish in a cow trough and they control mosquitos, It pretty much stabizes and the becomes self supporting. Cometkeith does something similar. But in a larger size pond. My grandmother did this many years ago.

Ask a Question