Pond Size if Liner is 9 foot 9in by 9 foot 9 in

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
a 9'9" x 9'9" liner :....a pond 3' deep would allow for a just under 3' x 3' pond.... 2' deep would allow for about a 5' x 5'... 18" deep would alow for a 6' x 6'.... not very big! if it were me, i'd go for the 6" x 6' and winter my fish indoors if i had to. this all varies upon how its dug also .. flat bottom, concave, straight walls, etc...

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
If I recall my calculus correctly and assuming no lip and rectangular/cube shaped, then the maximum volume of water you can hold is 403.9 G (54 cubic feet) with a 9x9 liner. This is a pond with a 1.5 feet depth... So not very deep if you want to maximize volume... better off to go for the depth you need (if cold zone you may want to go at least 3') and get whatever volume you get...

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
No, it would not be a good pond for koi, BUT, it would be a nice pond for a couple of nice goldfish and some aquatic plants. AS DP stated, 1000 gallons is the minimum for a koi pond, even that is pretty small for even one koi, and who wants to keep just one?

Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
who wants to keep just one?
I am having this problem right now. I started out with only goldfish in my pond but then saw a Koi I just had to have. And then another. Now I have 2 Koi and my goldfish had fry so I had about 50 fish in my 1600 gallon pond. I rehomed about 15 of the goldfish yesterday and also totally remodeled the pond so that I have closer to 2000 gallons now. I want to get more Koi but I dont want to overdo it. 4 Koi just doesn't seem as fun as 20 goldfish and 2 Koi.... I like the activity of the pond with more fish. But dang those Koi are addicting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I would not put Koi in, My Liner was 10'x15' and I shouldn't have Koi in my 500+ gallon pond, Stick with Shubunkins, They are awesome goldfish :)

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Sarassa goldfish can look very much like a koi...usually white with red markings
1_goldfish_sarasa_comet.jpg
kohakukoi.jpg
kohuku koi
also known as "the poor mans koi"

Ask a Question