Pond Size... Is Biggger Really Better? More or Less Maintenance?

Reaction score
I am planning on having a 11 x 16' pond installed by a contractor. It was suggested I go somewhat larger (maybe in the range of 21 x 26' because I have the space and a larger pond is easier to maintain because the more volume of water the more the system will mimic "mother nature". With that said, at what point do I concern myself with the size of the pond particularity maintenance associated with draining and pressure washing the stream bed and pond. Where do you store all this water during this process? I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts on this matter. Thanks!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
First of all welcome to the forum. Please go to the UserCP and add your city and state.

You don't store the water when it comes time to deep clean it. Only neglect would cause you to need to pressure wash it anyway.

Larger ponds are easier to keep in balance and if you have the proper amount of filtration and circulation they stay nice for a long period of time.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
First of all welcome to the forum. Please go to the UserCP and add your city and state.

You don't store the water when it comes time to deep clean it. Only neglect would cause you to need to pressure wash it anyway.

Larger ponds are easier to keep in balance and if you have the proper amount of filtration and circulation they stay nice for a long period of time.

Thanks for the reply. Assuming I will have the appropriate amount of filtration, what is a "long period of time".

I am leaning toward following my contractor's advice and and installing the largest possible in the space provided, about 21 x 26, maybe a tad larger. So generally speaking, I'm not making a mistake relative to it staying nicer for a longer period of time. I just don't want to make a decision with a lack of knowledge and then up regretting it.

On the other hand, I read where many folks decide their pond was too small and then end up enlarging it! Thanks again .... .....can't wait for the pod to be built.

Cheers!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
With normal maintenance and removal of large solids like leaves, 3-5 years is not out the question.If you are meticulous, perhaps never.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
With normal maintenance and removal of large solids like leaves, 3-5 years is not out the question.If you are meticulous, perhaps never.

... I can live with 3-5 years.... to "maybe never"! Thanks, I appreciate the reply.

Reaction score
DrDave said:

I just watched your videos. Very nice, Dr. Dave!

Reaction score
Yes, the bigger the pond, the easier it is to take care of. A 3,000 gallon pond is less maintennce than a 1,000 gallon one. A 5,000 gallon one is less maintenance than a 3,000 gallon one and so on.

The larger the body of water, the slower the changes take place within the water so water quality is easier to keep stabilized.

You didn't mention how deep your pond will be, just the width and length. I will tell you that it will be hard for you to catch fish in an 11 foot wide pond without physically standing in the water with your net. My new pond is going to be 20feet long, 8.5 feet wide and 4 feet deep. Go deeper rather than wider to get the volume.

21x26 will be a nightmare to catch fish in. And you need to be ready to do that do look at fish who may have an ailment or what have you. That's a swimming pool, not a pond. LOL! is your pond going to be above ground, under ground, half-n-half?

Is it going to rectangular or freeform?

Go long, but don't go too wide. Instead of wide, go deeper. Your net will go down, it will not go across that far without you standing in the pond--and still it will be hard to catch fish in a situation that wide. For example, I am going to build a sieve net on a frame that stretches across the 8.5 feet, so I can corral the fish into a smaller corner to catch whomever I need to. How can you do that in a 21 foot pond??

Reaction score
Those are all great points and questions. At this point in time, we are flexible with the size but there are some criteria that are inflexible, such as it will border a wall and a patio. We can reduce the width and increase the depth if need be. The depth will be a minimum of 2' but I remember the contractor suggesting 3-4' in parts. The shape will be free form, not rectangular.

Again, thanks for the invaluable advise regarding reducing the width and increasing the depth!

Reaction score
Koi Keeper,

Regarding the difficulty of catching fish in a large pond...... assuming we wanted to go with the larger pond would it be easier to catch the fish if they were trained to eat out of your hand? Is this a feasible as well as logical approach to catching fish in a larger pond or maybe this just isn't practical. I know I"m beating a dead horse but I figure better ask it now than later! Thanks!

I forgot to mention in previous post that it will be underground.

Reaction score
Riverbottom said:
At 65X45X5 deep 50000 Gal. I don't have to do anything! LOL
I will be posting pictures of my filter and stream soon.

Wow, that is a big pond! I'd like to see some pics.

Reaction score
malatu said:
Koi Keeper,

Regarding the difficulty of catching fish in a large pond...... assuming we wanted to go with the larger pond would it be easier to catch the fish if they were trained to eat out of your hand? Is this a feasible as well as logical approach to catching fish in a larger pond or maybe this just isn't practical. I know I"m beating a dead horse but I figure better ask it now than later! Thanks!

I forgot to mention in previous post that it will be underground.

No, for some reason unknown to humans, koi know when you're trying to catch them and evade you like the plague. In fact, the whole herd know when you are after one particular fish in general. The one you are trying to catch is never within reach and all the others dance in front of you even though you have no interest in catching THEM.

I swear, these fish are just brilliant!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
If you can plan your Koi chasing during the winter months they are a lot slower
Once the water starts to warm it gets harder and harder
As far as pond size ...Bigger is better

Ask a Question