Pond Start Video 1

Reaction score
So yesterday we started the project. We pulled out the shrubs we had planted behind the wall in order to open it up for something new. Since I had been planning a pond for quite some time now, we decided to use a section of this area.

Here is a video of the first two days of digging. I think this pond is going to happen over time due to my schedule, so this will be a cool place to watch it come together.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow music, narration and everything! That is a nice sized pond. I know at first it is pretty slow back breaking work but you are coming along nicely and sounds like you have planned it all out just the way you want it. Will be fun watching you as you slave along and we get to just sit and relax while you work :D

Reaction score
I actually got more done than I thought the last two days. There is so much more to go. I guess I forgot to mention that I am also building a rather large pond less waterfall in the front yard as well. I figured as long as I am digging ditches all over the yards I might as well jump in full and just do both projects. The waterfall in the front yard should be near completion this coming week and I will video it as well. Whew, I can't wait until this stuff is all finished :eek:)

Reaction score
Oh wow your gonna have a nice big pond! You won't regret it, well maybe the digging part but you'll get past that someday soon I hope. You could always rent a machine. Not to expensive and will save your back. I'll be looking for Part 2.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Enjoy the build, diggin diggin diggin! Looking good!

Reaction score
Well now I am having to make a change, because those retainer block will never hold the weight of the water, so I think maybe will make a bulge out in the front with the block, then put a concrete wall up in the front of the pond, and have an overflow basin with a waterfall in the front of the pond now.
Well, it's a project right?

Reaction score
Oh man I wanna see the waterfall now!!! That's not nice to tease us like that. :)
Okay, Okay, so here is a quick video I shot with my iPhone of the lay out. Plumbing for water is done and electrical is installed, so now it's time to make the waterfall. The plan is to construct the base, Cement it, lay sand, then liner, then have the waterway covered in Flagstone. There will be I think Six falls so the brick you see in the video is only to give an idea of the layout, it will actually be much higher. Thinking to be done with this hopefully in a few days. Then back to the pond. But as stated in my last post, I see a design change in the pond already.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Well now I am having to make a change, because those retainer block will never hold the weight of the water, so I think maybe will make a bulge out in the front with the block, then put a concrete wall up in the front of the pond, and have an overflow basin with a waterfall in the front of the pond now.
Well, it's a project right?

That's the first thing I thought when I saw the blocks. "That's never going to hold that much water". Glad you figured it out before it was to late.

Reaction score
That's the first thing I thought when I saw the blocks. "That's never going to hold that much water". Glad you figured it out before it was to late.
Heh, yea, I kind of had this in my mind when I started. It's not a show stopper by any means, just going to require a small change.

Reaction score
Okay, Okay, so here is a quick video I shot with my iPhone of the lay out. Plumbing for water is done and electrical is installed, so now it's time to make the waterfall. The plan is to construct the base, Cement it, lay sand, then liner, then have the waterway covered in Flagstone. There will be I think Six falls so the brick you see in the video is only to give an idea of the layout, it will actually be much higher. Thinking to be done with this hopefully in a few days. Then back to the pond. But as stated in my last post, I see a design change in the pond already.

Nice, I could have used your motivation with my project!!!!

Reaction score
Okay so back in business now. Last week the pond supply place was closed, and they are normally closed on Mondays, they made an exception yesterday and we got everything we needed. The Koi pond is on hold until I figure out my plan to add strength to the wall.
I have to finish this project now anyhow. Here is an update on the front yard pond less waterfall.

Reaction score
You are making good progress I can't wait to see more! I hope I don't try to do this next year!!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
This is fun and exciting watching you do all this. Bet it turns our really nice.

Ask a Question