Pond started on a run off in the mountains.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am needing some help y'all. So a pond was started 3 years ago and then sat and got super nasty. It's a very low spot and after doing a stream a d finally getting rocks moved around and not just dumped all over I have water going outside of my stream bed like 2 ft on a 60 degree slope. I'm am kinda frustrated with the pond.

Rocks were finally moved with a machine today and now I feel liner is tore all up and water will not make it down to the pind. The big rock is not where I wanted it either. Ugh
What a mess I got myself into

Attachments

• 20221107_094609.jpg
    20221107_094609.jpg
    425.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 20221110_115641.jpg
    20221110_115641.jpg
    496.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 20221110_093418.jpg
    20221110_093418.jpg
    448.7 KB · Views: 30
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I‘m curious, what is the track for? The configuration of your stream and pond will just take some further modifications, but over time you’ll get there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would have to advice to cut your losses and consider this a learning experience. You have a nice collection of rocks and sizes.

I'm guessing you don't have underlayment over and under the liner?

that your loosing water and it's dropping quickly.

YOU TUBE IS A GREAT RESORCE to go to to watch how the pros do it .
When you have a steep slope such as you do, the key is to not allow the water to build up energy as it makes its way down the hill . if it is straight similar to yours it will build up too much speed and will be impossible to stop the splash from getting out of containment.

In nature most streams will have a drop and then a pool where the water then overflows and continues its way down with a switch back or two then another water fall with more pools to stop the flow. these will also help hold the water up on the water fall and not require a huge reservoir to hold all the water when the power goes out .

Reaction score
Country
United States
I‘m curious, what is the track for? The configuration of your stream and pond will just take some further modifications, but over time you’ll get there.
It is an attraction here in town.
Thank you for your support.

Would u dig a trench under stream bed to control water?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would have to advice to cut your losses and consider this a learning experience. You have a nice collection of rocks and sizes.

I'm guessing you don't have underlayment over and under the liner?

that your loosing water and it's dropping quickly.

YOU TUBE IS A GREAT RESORCE to go to to watch how the pros do it .
When you have a steep slope such as you do, the key is to not allow the water to build up energy as it makes its way down the hill . if it is straight similar to yours it will build up too much speed and will be impossible to stop the splash from getting out of containment.

In nature most streams will have a drop and then a pool where the water then overflows and continues its way down with a switch back or two then another water fall with more pools to stop the flow. these will also help hold the water up on the water fall and not require a huge reservoir to hold all the water when the power goes out .
Just to make sure I understand correctly you would dig out the stream?

I can't cut my losses lol
I have to figure it out. It's at an attraction.

I'm aware of the stream not being correct. As I didn't start this mess lol. I would have done things so very differently from the start

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It's not that big even with equipment your looking at 3 weekends max . And then you will have an attraction if it got anywhere close to the video I posted

You want to think of it as steps tall elongated steps.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Steps and turns and pools - water in nature doesn't run straight down a hill. It moves and meanders around the obstacles it encounters on it's way down creating many twists and areas where water collects as it moves down the hill.

To answer your question simply - yes. You need to carve out the stream under the liner - you create space for the rocks to sit IN the stream, not on top of the stream. In every instance the liner needs to be above water level. But your rock work should extend outside of the feature so it doesn't look to be a bunch of rocks scattered down the hill. Reimagine this as a series of falls. Not a straight run down hill.

If you believe the liner is compromised, start over. Move all the rocks. Dig a proper series of falls. Add underlayment. Add liner. Use more underlayment under the big rocks to protect the liner. Use as FEW rocks as possible - less is more when it comes to building waterfalls. Get some waterfall foam - it'll be your best friend when used properly.

Good luck to you - this isn't impossible. You just need to get the vision.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My slope is hard to walk up. My steam is 85 feet long with multiple switchbacks, small ponds, water collection spots. Works well.

There are 3 ponds , three decent water collection areas and multiple small collection spots.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Look at any stream . they have a drop that has eroded the hill side and generally lands in a small pool . or more rock as it continues down stream but as it does it washes out the area digging it;s own trench. we generaly will have boulders that come up from the bottom of the stream and extend up past the grade.
Character rocks big boulders along side when the water drops it what realy makes waterfalls look natural with the smaller rocks in the washout areas/pools

Ask a Question