Pond still looks murky

Reaction score
It's been a while since I was last on here, but things have progressed with the pond. We cleaned it out completely as it was thick gunge and we didn't even know there were fish in there.[we inherited the pond when we moved to this house] We rescued all the fish [around 80-100 small goldfish] and after the big clean up and installing a filter with uv light and a pump we put them all back again. We've put a few plants in, and for a few days it was lovely and clear, but now it looks dirty again. We checked the water by scooping a glass-full out and that's clear so it's the bottom of the pond that's making it look dirty. Should I buy a pond vac to suck out all the dirt on the bottom or is there another way?

Sue

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
hi Sue,

I would suggest getting the sludge vacuumed or scooped off of the bottom first. then, assuming that your filtration unit is adiqaute, the next step would be to get a UV Clearifier installed inline to your water return to your pond.

I dragged my feet because I thought that the system I had set up for filtering out all of the crud was the answer to my merky looking water. It wasn't working. then I started to read all of the posting s here.

I bought a UV Clearifier from Lowes for $79.oo something and installed it between my pond filter and the water spill. I had to change the filter and rinse it every day, but Now my water is cystal clear in only a week.

Give it a shot.

Ask a Question