Pond stocking and pond building

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So I am doing some research on a koi pond, and have a few questions. I have no experience with ponds, so please have patience with me if my questions seem stupid. I am wondering if I were to do a koi pond, do I need a liner, or can I just dig a hole and fill it with water. How deep would it have to be? I am in Nova Scotia Canada we have some pretty chilly winters, I would like the koi fish to be able to stay in the pond year round. What equipment would I need for a pond? Also what kind of fish could I stock the pond with other then koi?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Colleen on here lives in Medicine Hat in Canada .Remember koi get very big .If you are going small go with fat fantails .Goldfish and shubbies breed to much

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Wow. That's a loaded question! The answers could range from soup to nuts.

But yes, to start you will need a liner. That doesn't have anything to do with the fact you hope to keep KOI in your pond, but rather the fact that you hope to keep WATER in your pond. There are ponds that are built without liners, but they tend to be really, really big - not your standard garden pond.

So start with the basics. How much space do you have for a pond? And how big is your budget for this project?

Reaction score
..if I were to do a koi pond, do I need a liner, or can I just dig a hole and fill it with water.
Certainly no stupid questions.

Whether a liner is needed depends on your soil conditions, water source and water table. In heavy clay no liner is needed. In sandy it's needed. Then there's everything in between.

Where I lived in NY the water table was near the surface for most of the year so that made earth ponds easy.

If you have a cheap water source then water can be pumped in faster than it goes out. Most (maybe all) of the old Koi farms in Japan have stream/spring fed ponds.

If none of those options are available you'll need something to reduce water loss. That ranges from adding clay, which one depends on your soil. Really need soil testing to know. There are rubber and plastic liners. Up from that would be concrete, fiberglass, etc...

How deep would it have to be? I am in Nova Scotia Canada we have some pretty chilly winters, I would like the koi fish to be able to stay in the pond year round.
I looked at your temp averages, didn't look too bad. One year in NY we had -28 C lows and -18 C highs for more than a week solid. Ground froze to more than a meter, I know because I was digging holes at the time. So I'd guess at least 1 m. But I'd call any local pond builder or Koi retailer to get a much better answer.

Once deep enough to not freeze solid the next risk has to do with gases in the water. The water can be aerated at the risk of dropping water temp or let ice insulate and risk gas problems. Never possible to predict. Some people build tanks in their garages for the fish. They even add windows to the tanks and sit around partying and watch the fish. Sounds like fun.

What equipment would I need for a pond?
Depends on many factors like pond size, water source, budget, fish load, and your goals. Would need a lot more info.

Also what kind of fish could I stock the pond with other then koi?
Pretty much anything you want. I wouldn't add pike or bass unless you were starting out with full grown Koi.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome Alee!
I would recommend your pond be 4 feet deep, you can also keep goldfish like shubunkins instead of koi.
You should have 2 budgets in mind, one for building the pond and one for monthly maintenance.
Maintenance is mainly electricity but you should also put some money aside for repairs of plumbing components.
For equipment you'll need a liner, water test kits and filtration setup.
You'll need to supply electricity near the pond location.
If you want to keep a couple of koi, you should be looking at a pond capacity of at least 2,000 gallons.
I would recommend shubunkins if this is your first pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
Another thing to consider is how much work do you want to do? When I was 30 I enjoyed the physical activity of working on the pond, the gardening and lawn work; now that I'm in my 60's I'm looking at ways to make thing easier and more self maintaining.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Another thing to consider is how much work do you want to do? When I was 30 I enjoyed the physical activity of working on the pond, the gardening and lawn work; now that I'm in my 60's I'm looking at ways to make thing easier and more self maintaining.

I can relate to that! ;)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Can all type of goldfish live in a pond, like Ryukin, Oranda, Comet? Also can you keep snails or plecos in with them. I dont want a great big pond, and not a whole lot of work. I just want something peaceful to enjoy in the yard, somewhere I can put a bench and sit and watch the fish. I used to have indoor aquariums, with african clawed frogs, turtles, ghost knife fish... a few different tanks with all different fish. I was looking at this pond kit on amazon, would this be any good: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00ADY6JVC...TF8&colid=3VX6VKUOWUI95&coliid=I3C8L87ZSUBD9E

Also do pond deicers work well? And would it be worth it to have one?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Not a kit that I would recommend. Does not specify liner composition (EPDM, PVC, etc.)! Pump entirely too small for a 1200 gallon pond with fish! No biofilter included! No underlayment included! No plumbing components included! A very incomplete kit!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I always advocate trying to buy from a good local pond retailer first.
If you don't have one nearby, www.petsandponds.com is located in Ontario. I've dealt with them and will recommend them. You're going to have to raise your budget though. That liner that you are looking at is PVC which will not last as long as an EDPM.
Comets will live outside fine, no plecos.

If you want to keep your budget low you could go with a 2' deep pond but you would need to bring the fish inside for the winter.

Ask a Question