Pond Stocking Question

Reaction score
Since I’m in a garden pond forum, I’m assuming that most people are aware of plant hardiness zones. I live in Southern California where the plant hardiness zone is a 10. I have an above ground pond that’s between 50-60 gallons. Since I live in a warmer climate, I was wondering if there are any fish other than goldfish that I could put in my pond. Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Well, I seems that zone 10 goes down to 30 degrees. I can't think of anything besides Koi, comets and shubunkin. Anything else you would have to pull out and overwinter in a aquarium.

Reaction score
I heard that mosquito fish can be pretty mean. If I put rosie red/fathead minnows or white clouds in with them, I don't want the mosquito fish to bully those other fish. Is there any truth to the idea that mosquito fish are aggressive?

Reaction score
Yes, in my experience, they are aggressive. I put rosie red minnows in with them and they hit them like sharks! Within hours there were no more rosies. They also pick at fins if they can. On the plus side, I have had no fry in 11 years, cause the mosquito fish eat them. Saves me from having to cull them due to no more room!

Ask a Question