Pond stone edging help

Reaction score
Hi, we remodeled our pond last weekend(just) and have the plants and fish back in. No for the edging. I want a flat stone with a natural feel that I will mortar in place, any suggestions to what type of stones are safe and look good a few years done the line. Thanks Derry image.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would skip mortaring it in place, I find I change the rock look off and on. Make sure that back edge has a rim to keep water from flowing down the slope behind it into the pond during hard rains. It looks like you have a higher edge, a little hard to tell with the picture.

What ever type of rock you have in your area works. We have something called field stone which is nice big flat rocks. They type they build stone fences with. I would build your rock edge up into the slope too, at that back edge.

Reaction score
You have a lot of extra tarp there. I would use a layer of bricks or even just dirt to build the edge of the pond up higher. Then place a layer of rocks around the perimeter of the pond, on top of the liner. Then fold the liner up behind those rocks and then use another row of rocks to hold the liner up vertically. Then I would cover it all in softball sized rocks. The idea would be that it would look like a layer of rocks at the top of the water level, rather than seeing the tarp. Having the pond elevated a bit would give you more gallons, and also ensure no runoff gets into the pond.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:59334]

The squiggly line is water level, this is what dp is suggesting, which would look great. Really hides the liner

Reaction score
Welcome Dezmond! Good looking start there! I agree with them. No need for mortar, just be sure and balance the stones so that they do not fall in if someone were to lean on them. We have rather large rocks, but some flat ones on one end. I did what addy drew there, except where the 4 small stones are in the pond, I built a sturdy wall of smallish stones that the cap could rest on. This did two things held the cap stone in place and and also the cap stone held the wall tight and sturdy. If you do what diesel suggests, use the bricks to bring the pond wall up, then do a wall in and outside of the pond ( on both sides of the bricks ) and then put the cap stones on top of them :) if you look at my bog picks, you get an idea. I used brick to build up my bog and small stones around the bog in wall form. Good luck!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have large flat stones on the ledge that is partially under water, then larger flat stones around some of the edge of the pond. Hides the liner nicely

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the repleys. I've got a foot ledge to the top with about a 3" rigdge to avoid run off at the back of the pond I was going to have a bog area so that's why it's a bit lower there. I was going to use flat stones so any thoughts to which ones are good/ cheap?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No clue for surrey, I usually go to stone yards, or watch for sales at nurseries. They have winter is coming rock sales.

Reaction score
addy1 said:
What ever type of rock you have in your area works. We have something called field stone which is nice big flat rocks. They type they build stone fences with. I would build your rock edge up into the slope too, at that back edge.
Oh boy, this can be confusing ... HERE, field stones are ROUNDED like balls ... Big flat rocks (2-6" thick) that would make nice stepping stones, are called river rocks ...

Reaction score
Your gonna have to check yourself on prices, it's different in every regions of the US. Here flagstone; which is basically sandstone 3" thick and flat, is around 300$ a ton. I get mine out of the OHIO River when it goes down below the water table. I like free :biggrin:

Ask a Question